Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Panel on Clay Tile Roof Install

1. Back To Top    #1

Sacramento, CA

Solar Panel on Clay Tile Roof Install

I recently purchased a solar panel kit from .solardirect. In their install documentation they say for a clay tile roof to mount the panel supports directly to the tiles. Meaning use a masonary bit to drill pilot holes into the tile and use a concrete screw to secure it on the tile.

I have talked with a few people, one being a proffesional roofer, and they all thought that wasn't a great idea. Factors I am concerend about are wind and water leaking through the tiles in he attic.

On the above site their are pics of installs onto clay tile roofs that look very clean and seem to be attached directly to the tiles. My question is, has anyone installed panels in this manner, and howd it turn out? Or what are other options are there for installing on a clay tile roof.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Nokomis, Florida

Re: Solar Panel on Clay Tile Roof Install

not sure where you are located, but before you drill into your tile roof, you better check with your Homeowner's and Wind policy Ins. Co. Some will not insure you anymore once you install a solar system like this on the roof.
    using the BBB with liquid Chlorine 10.5% for 5 yrs.
    inground 28 X 14 ft. 14,700 gallon pool. Masterpool 8 port floor popup system
    Replastered w/Krystal Krete 09/23/2015
    Pentair 100 sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter - 1 hp Super Flo pump - IC20 Saltwater system.
    TF-100 test kit and the Taylor K1000

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Welcome to TFP!

Check out this site They have a lot of good info.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

United States

I know this is a really old post, but I just bought the same type of system and the same brand. I am curious as to how you ended up attaching it. I am thinking of drilling through the tiles and running a lag bolt into the trusses below the plywood.