Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Everyone, :wave:

I would like to show everyone that has an Intex Pool or Intex SWG that wants to hard plumb the pool to the pump or just want to add the Intex SWG to their existing plumbing. I know there has been alot of adapters shown on this forum. Some have been good and some not so good. This adapter uses NO PVC hoses, NO pipe clamps and starts off as a PVC fitting. I myself have built adapters that uses PVC hoses and pipe clamps. They work ok but I wanted to limit the amount of connections that could have a possible leak. Example: Intex adapter to PVC hose held together by a pipe clamp then to a 1 1/4" PVC pipe that is also held together by a pipe clamp. That set up has the possiblity of leaking in 2 places. I didn't want that. My new adapter has illiminated those 2 possible leaks. Lets get started.

*This adapter will require some handy skill with a dremal. Cutting disc and sanding drum is required.*

My adapter starts off as a 2" to 1 1/4" reducing bushing.
Top:
As you can see in the picture below the bushing has 2 rings separated by 6 little connectors. The inner ring is the 1 1/4" side of the bushing.
adapter1.jpg

Bottom:
The picture below shows the other side of the bushing.
adapter2.jpg

Bottom:
Here is the same bushing as the above picture with the raised sides ground down by a dremal. There now a flat surface all the way accross.
adapter3.jpg

Top:
Here is the top of the bushing with the outer ring cut off. You can see the new adapter taking shape.
adapter4.jpg

New adapter and Bushing Top & Bottom:
This picture shows a 2" to 1 1/4" bushing and the same bushing modified into the new adapter.
adapter5.jpg

adapter6.jpg

Intex Adapter and Modified PVC Bushing:
Here is a picture of the Intex adapter and my new modified bushing. You can now see where I'm going with this modification. The modified bushing gives me the same connection to the Intex equipment but it starts out as a standard 1 1/4" fitting so there is no need to use a pipe clamp and hose.
adapter7.jpg

Picture of Intex Adapter and New Adapter with the Intex Hose Nuts:
You can see the Nut doesn't go all the way down to the counter so you have to just take a little off of the lip to get the new adapter to seat correctly in the nut.
adapter8.jpg

New Finished Adapter and parts used to make it:
The new adapter is to the far left and the parts used to make the adapter are shown also. 1 1/4" pipe about 2" long, 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" reducing bushing and a 1 1/5" pipe coupling.
adapter10.jpg

2 New Adapters and Nuts:
You can see there are different Nuts in this picture that in the previous pictures. That is because once the 1 1/2" coupling was added the adapter is to bigg for the other nut to fit. To fix this problem I used the Nuts that are part of the plunger valves that come with the pools. The nuts are the same size and can be taken apart. Itook 2 apart and put them back together on my new adapter.
adapter11.jpg

New section made with my new adapters to go from my pump to the filter. You can now see the adapters connected without any hoses or pipe clamps.
New Adapter:
adapter12.jpg

Old Hose Adapter:
pump1.jpg

I hope this modification helps all of the Intex owners out there. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy. :cheers:

Do you know if you can buy the 2-piece nuts without having to buy the plunger valves? I hate to have to buy the valves just to get the nuts I need since I will need several to hard plumb the entire thing (skimmer to filter to SWG to pool).
One other thing, have you figured out how to hard plumb to the plunger valves? I noticed that they use the hose fitting connections? I like the fact you can shut them off at the pool to do whatever you need downstream of them but I'm thinking that I may just have to use a standard ball valve instead.

Haulinbass02 said:
Do you know if you can buy the 2-piece nuts without having to buy the plunger valves? I hate to have to buy the valves just to get the nuts I need since I will need several to hard plumb the entire thing (skimmer to filter to SWG to pool).
One other thing, have you figured out how to hard plumb to the plunger valves? I noticed that they use the hose fitting connections? I like the fact you can shut them off at the pool to do whatever you need downstream of them but I'm thinking that I may just have to use a standard ball valve instead.
Hi,
I'm not sure if you can buy the 2-piece nuts seperatly. You could try looking thru the Intex store for them. As for the pluger valves. My adapter won't work on the plunger valves because of the way they seal with the hoses. The plunger valve uses O-rings that seal to the hoses. When I go and hard plumb my pool and equipment I won't be useing the plunger valves. If you look inside the valves you will see a lot of water flow restricting parts. I'm going to be useing standard PVC ball valves on mine. They will provide a lot less restriction in water flow and will still be able to shut them. Hope this helps. :cheers:

if anyone is having trouble finding the PVC adapter/bushing showing in the first pic, try Home Depot. I was at a loss because Lowes did not have this style of adapter. The one they had was solid plastic.

I finally found a Home Depot in a town near by that had these bushings.

I'm about to use pvc to plumb my intex pool and saw your thread. Just thought I'd share what I found at Home Depot as it seems to be a nearly perfect coupler with very little modification needed. I actually found it in the electronics pvc department not the outdoor plumbing area.

Part number E950HG 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 coupler
Sku: 0 34481 06227 1

A nearly dead perfect coupler for intex fittings. Just a couple bumps around the edge that just need to be cut off and the bottom flattened smooth.
pvc_coupler_1.jpg

Here's a shot of the bottom before and after
pvc_coupler_2.jpg

I put a 1-1/2 to 1-1/2 coupler then a 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 step down so I can use 1-1/4 inch pvc. I realized tonight that I can probably just find a 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 coupler and just forget about the third piece so I'll go back tomorrow and take a look.

pvc_coupler_3.jpg

Anyways just thought I'd share my findings. Hope this helps anyone else looking for a solution. This one is super easy.

No that is what I'm talking about!!! :whoot:

That was what I was looking for when I came up with my adapter. That would have saved some time.
How do the Intex 2 piece nuts fit on the coupler? With that coupler their is no need to step back down to 1 1/4 PVC. Keep the pipe at 1 1/2.

GREAT FIND!!!! :goodjob:

:cheers:

I haven't tried the two piece nuts, but they are identical in size to the 1 piece nuts (I believe) which fits absolutely perfectly. Almost like they were made for this :goodjob:

I was actually wondering about what pipe size to use. So 1-1/2 would be better to use than 1-1/4? I figured 1-1/4 would be "good enough", but I was just guessing...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually let me ask this officially. I have a 5000 gallon intex (16'x4') ultra frame. I upgraded to the pump that uses the larger "B" filters and also have the SWG system. So considering the water flow is not as high as say a 13,000 gallon system do you guys think 1-1/4 inch pipe will provide sufficient flow or should I go with 1-1/2?

Thanks

Dremel with barrel sander to remove the nibs. To sand the bottom I used a small bench mounted rotating disc sander. High grit and did it slowly. There is also a small lip on the inside of the coupler that can be optionally removed. I used the dremel again to remove that.

Looks like the E950HG is an electrical conduit fitting. The manufacturer is Carlon. Plugging in the E950HG part number on the Home Depot website gives you a picture of a different fitting, without the lip. Looking at the manufacturer's product sheet, they have a large number of similar fittings. You'll need to dig around to find the exact one.

This looks like the simplest solution by a long shot. Thanks!

Robert

Hi everyone,
I have a Intex 15X48 with the 1 1/4 fittings.
I got a Waterway 1 HP-"22 sand filter to replace the crappy 637R 'A' cartridge junk pump/filter and needed to convert to "1 1/2 hoses.
Here's what I did... very simple.
Drain water until just below the fittings.
Remove the push in fitting.
Use the gasket from the new "1 1/2 Hayward fitting and lay up to where the old fitting is and using a fine marker and mark a new I.D. bigger hole centered over the smaller hole.
Use a utility knife and cut out the liner on the line. (very easy to do)
Install new 1 1/2 fittings. (no leaks-install is perfect)
Install new Hayward 1 1/2 hose adapters for the 1 1/2 hose.
Use a Hayward 1 1/2 standard eyeball with "1 eye for return.
I temporarily have used a 3rd "1 1/2 hose adapter with 6- "1/4 drilled holes to allow the 1 hp pump to not be restricted by the Intex skimmer.
I have a new Hayward skimmer to use just letting the water level to get low with some splashout in the next couple of weeks.

Chuck

Pic's to follow

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=uw_4TZjaC5zixQXNjs2uBA&sa=image&ved=0CAsQ8gI

# - Complete SP1023 Fitting SP1023
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-241-hayward-sp1023-1023g-1024-1025-1039-return-fitting-parts.aspx

line item # 15
SPX1091Z4 1 1/2" Straight Hose Adapter for Hayward Filter
http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filters_gm_series_152.htm

Complete 1½" Return Fitting - 1" Eyeball SP1419E
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-243-hayward-sp1419-sp1420-sp1421-fitting-parts.aspx

Hayward Skimmer Complete ** SP1091LX
Price: $39.43
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-22014-skimmers-for-above-ground-swimming-pools.aspx

Attachments

• Pool setup for skimmer 006 resize.jpg
    Pool setup for skimmer 006 resize.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11,660
  • Pool setup for skimmer 009 resized.jpg
    Pool setup for skimmer 009 resized.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 11,608
  • Pool setup for skimmer 013 resized.jpg
    Pool setup for skimmer 013 resized.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 11,590

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.