Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools

Went this way.

Got rid of the restricting Intex valves (even though the ball valves are also restricting down to about an inch going through) and went with 1 1/2" spa pvc flex pipe (got it at Lowes). The stock Intex hoses are barely more than 1" on inside. Getting rid of them and the Intex valves probably got me some more gph filtering out of my pump. Didn't like the idea of rigid pipe coming from the pool with all the movement going on there. Used the Cantrex 1 1/2" Box Adapter to connect to Intex pool and pump fittings. I used the gaskets that originally went to the Intex valves but they are too small for the pool end and don't seal all that well. I need the Intex L gasket that normally fits on the pump end, it's bigger, sits in the fitting better and seals better. Still using the Intex in pool skimmer as it works well for me and I just can't get my head around the idea of an outside pool skimmer and losing the depth, especially since I take my pool down each year. I'm cool now with my modifications. Time to go swimming.

okay, these look really cool. I'm a noob, and so I'm just curious as to if these are just aesthetic or there is a specific reason you are doing it. I'm fixing to put up my first Intex pool and want to do it right. This will be my 3 or 4th summer of fighting with pools like this though. (Summer Escapes before). Last year I I bought the Krystal clear salt and sand system and rigged it up to fit my summer escape. This year we are buying a bigger Intex. Like I said, I'm tired of buying pools every summer so I want to do it RIGHT this time as I'm hoping this will be my last for a LONG LONG time. Any help will be appreciated!

I have an 18' ultraframe, and have been hunting for the perfect adapter. There's nothing *exact* of course, but I found a spa part that is very close.
Dura 1.5 x 1.25 inch slip slip reducer bushing is smooth, the edges are round, and the outside flange on one end is the perfect thickness to go right inside an Intex nut as a direct replacement of the Intex hose end.
The other end has an inside flange that needs to be cut out so 1.25 inch pvc will pop right in, otherwise you would need an extra part to go up a size and back down.
If you have one of those little five dollar pvc cutters it will work fine, though I used a clamp and a miter saw since I was doing ten of them.

Here's a page with that part: Product Listing 437-212 1.5 by 1.25 reducer bushing

Here's a picture of it: Dropbox - Dura 1_5x1_5 inch reducer bushing-1.jpg

I have a few 2 " pipes lying around. Would it be fine to go with 2" rather than 1 1/2" pipes. Although I know I will be restricted to the inflow and outflow but will it hurt my pump to have a 2" rather than 1 1/2". Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have an 18' ultraframe, and have been hunting for the perfect adapter. There's nothing *exact* of course, but I found a spa part that is very close.
Dura 1.5 x 1.25 inch slip slip reducer bushing is smooth, the edges are round, and the outside flange on one end is the perfect thickness to go right inside an Intex nut as a direct replacement of the Intex hose end.
The other end has an inside flange that needs to be cut out so 1.25 inch pvc will pop right in, otherwise you would need an extra part to go up a size and back down.
If you have one of those little five dollar pvc cutters it will work fine, though I used a clamp and a miter saw since I was doing ten of them.

Here's a page with that part: Product Listing 437-212 1.5 by 1.25 reducer bushing

Here's a picture of it: Dropbox - Dura 1_5x1_5 inch reducer bushing-1.jpg

So this mimics a 1.5" hose, correct? But you mention putting a 1.25" PVC inside...is there a way to keep it at 1.5" PVC after the adapter?

I have been reading so many threads that I think I'm making this harder then what it is. I have 22'x52" intex pool and i'm upgrading to a intex 3000 gallon sand filter and keeping the swg. I'll be installing a Hayward SP1091WM skimmer and i'm trying to figure out what adapters I need to buy. any advantage from using pvc flex pipe instead of just pvc?

Does anyone know a simple break down of all the adapters I would need to make this work?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435029490.555584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435029503.210643.jpg
This is a 1.5" box adapter found in the electrical department at Lowe's, Home Depot in my area does not stock 1.5" box adapters anymore. I think the Cantex versions are a little higher quality, but only found one on the shelf, apparently they are only going to stock Carlon from now on. I think either is fine though. These are used to mimic the ends of the Intex hoses. You can see from the pictures that the only modifications need are to sand down the lettering. I used a 320 grit, and then some 2000 grit paper to make them nice and smooth.

Once you do that, you just need the Intex nuts that are regularly found on their 1.5" hoses, some adapters, etc. Probably the cheapest thing to buy to get them is a sand filter connection hose (the hose that is about 1 foot long between the pump and sand filter), this is about $5, and gets you two nuts.

From then on, you slip the nut over the box adapter, and glue on a PVC 90 deg fitting or a PVC slip coupler. This gets you to either 1.5" PVC or the same size Spa Hose.

I picked up about 18' of the 1.5" spa hose at Lowe's for a little over $2 a foot, Home Depot charges about double that price for some reason, or you can order about 25' for $55 on the interwebs.

I just got all my Intex parts via snail mail, and will be assembling my setup over the next week.

I think the spa hose is a good idea because of the movement in an above ground pool. Will hopefully keep things together longer.

Cut the holes in my smaller Intex pool, so now working on the soft/hard plumbing. This little adapter comes with the pools, so I just happened to have 3 of these laying around.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435035285.536279.jpg

The only seal that isn't already on something (pump/SWCG) etc, is the one between the pool fittings and the hose (or in my case, the box adapter). If you are using the plunger valves, then you won't have this problem either.

The inside of this small fitting adapter has a giant rubber piece that goes all the way through it. I pulled that out, and cut a ring off the big side to use as a sealing gasket. I'll have to post again to get the pictures...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is what is inside the adapter:

There is a natural looking ring (possibly from the mold used to make this part) that runs along the inside edge of the large end, which I used as a guide to cut out a gasket.

The finished gasket.

Installed against the box adapter.

Fully assembled to the pool fitting.

Inside the pool fitting, looking through the box adapter.

Last edited:
Updated the previous post.

I'm hoping this provides a leak free seal, but I haven't tested it yet.

I can confirm that all three of these seals I made in fact are leak free!

A9737944-33B7-4564-B76A-9A6FA15131CE_zpso7lvteha.jpg

Went this way.

Got rid of the restricting Intex valves (even though the ball valves are also restricting down to about an inch going through) and went with 1 1/2" spa pvc flex pipe (got it at Lowes). The stock Intex hoses are barely more than 1" on inside. Getting rid of them and the Intex valves probably got me some more gph filtering out of my pump. Didn't like the idea of rigid pipe coming from the pool with all the movement going on there. Used the Cantrex 1 1/2" Box Adapter to connect to Intex pool and pump fittings. I used the gaskets that originally went to the Intex valves but they are too small for the pool end and don't seal all that well. I need the Intex L gasket that normally fits on the pump end, it's bigger, sits in the fitting better and seals better. Still using the Intex in pool skimmer as it works well for me and I just can't get my head around the idea of an outside pool skimmer and losing the depth, especially since I take my pool down each year. I'm cool now with my modifications. Time to go swimming.

How you like the spa hose, and how is it so far? Thinking of going this way. What section can i find them at? Went to lowes and no one knew.

I just discovered this thread, i realize its pretty old, but i'm mainly trying to create a 100 foot long either flex (in ground ok for flex?) or solid pvc 1.5" pipe from the intex sand filter pump drain (1.5" threads i think)..

Some of the pics in this thread no longer work..

Basically i thought i could get this coupler to attach at the pump and then glue pvc from there back.. any thoughts? I'm not seeing what part numbers at lowes id need to do the screw on "insert?" that many have made at the inlets and such?

http://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-1-2-in-Dia-PVC-Sch-40-Adapter/3371578 + 10 foot pvc pipes at 1.5" each (10 of em + elbows)..

Anyone have a few part numbers or links to lowes by chance?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.