Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools

tmgoethe said:
First, thanks for all of the truly usful information from everyone in these thread!

I do have a question about what you are using to seal the joint at the pump. The box adapters are a loose fit over the pump fittings (Intex 2,500 gph cartridge pump). It looks like I will have to cut a rubber gasket to get it to work. The connection at the SWG is fine as it has the fitting with the integrated O ring at the end of the union rather than around it.

Thanks again!

i used the rubber gaskets that came with the intex screw on nuts. along with the pipe glue and the gaskets together i had no leaks. worked great! :-D

jsf0656 said:
tmgoethe said:
First, thanks for all of the truly usful information from everyone in these thread!

I do have a question about what you are using to seal the joint at the pump. The box adapters are a loose fit over the pump fittings (Intex 2,500 gph cartridge pump). It looks like I will have to cut a rubber gasket to get it to work. The connection at the SWG is fine as it has the fitting with the integrated O ring at the end of the union rather than around it.

Thanks again!

i used the rubber gaskets that came with the intex screw on nuts. along with the pipe glue and the gaskets together i had no leaks. worked great! :-D

I didn't have any gaskets on the screw on nuts for the hose. I tried using the O ring off the pump, but it didn't seal. I tired using another O ring that came with some Intex part, not sure which, and it wouldn't seal either. The one that fits in the groove on the valve also failed to seal. I'm about to head to the home store and I'll buy some gasket material and try making something.

Thanks for the reply!!

I bought a square of gasket rubber at Lowes and made a couple of gaskets myself. On one valve I also had to use some silicone sealer to stop the leaking. I don't like how the threads on the valves do not go all the way around. Makes it so they cannot be tightened sufficiently. The nuts can jump the threads if you tighten them too much.

Also make sure you sand the backside of the adapters smooth and even. A rotary sander works great for this.

plumgang said:
I too want to plumb my Intex pool with PVC...I have searched Home Depot's website and they do not list
the E950HG conduit reducer...any suggestions?

I just picked up the equivalent at my local Lowes. I will know in the morning how well they work.

Lance

divemasterphil said:
viberama said:
Has anyone found these 2 piece nuts? I can buy the plungers at 14 bucks a piece at the intex store but with my skimmer, 2 intake, return, SWCG that's gonna get expensive. Anyone have any luck?

Try this, it's $1.50 from Intex. It might be larger than the 40mm, can't tell from the picture.

http://www.intexstore.com/ProductDetail ... parts=list

These will not work the 2 piece nuts are much bigger than what we need i ordered 5 of them hoping they would work :( But i do have 5 new paperweights!

lancej said:
plumgang said:
I too want to plumb my Intex pool with PVC...I have searched Home Depot's website and they do not list
the E950HG conduit reducer...any suggestions?

I just picked up the equivalent at my local Lowes. I will know in the morning how well they work.

Lance
i bought a dozen of them just to have extra. you never know when they may be discontinued! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a bit stumped as to what exactly must be had to replace the standard hoses with PVC. I'm concentrating on the inlet and outlet ports on the pool itself. On each there is a black, flexible hose where one inserts (from inside the pool) a part into that hose, then from the outside of the pool the hose from/to pump is attached to it. What size or certain part should I be looking for. I want to emulate what member jsf0656 has done. To start with I don't think an Intex plunger valve will work. I'm miffed. Thanks for any help in advance.

mrmogway said:
I'm a bit stumped as to what exactly must be had to replace the standard hoses with PVC. I'm concentrating on the inlet and outlet ports on the pool itself. On each there is a black, flexible hose where one inserts (from inside the pool) a part into that hose, then from the outside of the pool the hose from/to pump is attached to it. What size or certain part should I be looking for. I want to emulate what member jsf0656 has done. To start with I don't think an Intex plunger valve will work. I'm miffed. Thanks for any help in advance.
I'm faced with the same issue on my easy set so I plan on cutting those tubes out and installing the larger inlet/outlet that came with my new pump. If you don't have those available it would be easier to just order some standard 1.5" threaded returns and cut them in as they'll use standard NPT right off the bat. Hayward makes a complete kit with gaskets you can find cheap.

George, I have already cut mine but for larger fittings but am in the process of hard plumbing it not and you are correct instead of rounding up parts from intex why not replace it with another brand return that has standard threads such as this one that is listed for $18.00 the barb of course is removable.

Attachments

• inlet2.jpg
    inlet2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,567
That's exactly what I was referring to, Steve. Thanks for posting the pic to help others out.
The only reason I'm not doing it is because I could never hard plumb my easy set with the movement it gets and now that I saw how easy it is to add NPT to the Intex fittings that I have, I see no reason to spend the money.

Though, I do wonder if you could interchange the Intex and "standard" returns?

Quote:

These can be bought even cheaper since you don't need the barb they were $7.75 i ordered the parts and will start a thread with picture when i start it.

end quote

If you have time, where did you get them from and what are the part numbers? I may add a second inlet and return and it would make sense to just go straight to the standard fittings. Thanks!!

If you have time, where did you get them from and what are the part numbers? I may add a second inlet and return and it would make sense to just go straight to the standard fittings. Thanks!![/quote]

The part #s are as follows.

Hayward Return Fitting Part # SP 1023

Hayward Return Jet Part # SP1419D( These are available with different size holes this is the 3/4 part#)

Hayward Grate for intake. Part # SP1026

They are available at multiple Pool stores on E-Bay

Attachments

• return nozzle.jpg
    return nozzle.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,519
  • intake grate.jpg
    intake grate.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,515
  • hayward inlet 4.jpg
    hayward inlet 4.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,513
tmgoethe,
In this thread at the bottom of page 1 and top of page 2, I posted where I got mine from online.
I did however get a intake grate at the local pool store but didn't end up using it now I have the Hayward skimmer installed.
I had bought brand new high quality 1.5 hoses before I started my Intex upgrades, so I stayed with them instead of hard plumbing with PVC.
I have kept my old cheap 637R pump just in case I need to do any repairs to my Waterway sand filter system and use as a temporary pump system. I can have it hooked up in about 10 mins or less by staying with the 1.5 hoses.

Chuck

Attachments

• Pool setup for skimmer 006 resize.jpg
    Pool setup for skimmer 006 resize.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • Pool setup for skimmer 007 resized.jpg
    Pool setup for skimmer 007 resized.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,501
  • Pool setup for skimmer 113.jpg
    Pool setup for skimmer 113.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1,498

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.