Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools

The problem is that Intex uses non-standard threads on their products, so off-the-shelf products don't typically work.

What you need to make the custom coupler is a 1 1/2" PVC box adapter. These are found in the electrical department at the big box stores.

The ones I used were Carlon brand, part #E996H. If you check my build thread, you'll see pictures.

Also, here's another thread that shows them: Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded photos

I was able to make flat gaskets for the intex nuts from a gasket found in the hardware aisle at lowes. O.D. was correct, I had to cut the I.D. correct with a razor/hobby knife. By stacking two of them, I can use the box adapter and thread the intex nuts directly on a 2" pvc adapter and it seals before the thread mismatch comes up tight. No leaks, no problems so far.

The problem is that Intex uses non-standard threads on their products, so off-the-shelf products don't typically work.

What you need to make the custom coupler is a 1 1/2" PVC box adapter. These are found in the electrical department at the big box stores.

The ones I used were Carlon brand, part #E996H. If you check my build thread, you'll see pictures.

Also, here's another thread that shows them: Create intex adapters. Step by step. Lots of embedded photos

Thanks, i had seen parts of that thread before.. i wasnt sure though, if the box adapters applied to that of the backwash port on the intex sand pump.. which is where i really want to go from.. i did find some of those box adapters at lowes though, assuming they are the right ones (i had thought hd was the only source these days, maybe i got lucky).

Does this all apply to the backwash port as well?

are you saying basically i use the carlon adapter + some glue to make the backwash pvc pipe adapter work?
If you're talking about the adapter in that Lowes link you posted, no, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that most store bought threaded pvc stuff won't work (or work as easily), since the intex threads are non-standard.

You can make your own adapter with the Carlon part, a threaded intex hose nut, and some pvc.

You sand the lettering off of the Carlon part to provide a smooth mating surface for the gasket on the opening you're connecting to. Slide the threaded nut over the Carlon adapter, then you prep and glue the adapter to a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe, leaving enough room for the threaded nut to still turn.

This becomes your homemade adapter and threads perfectly onto the intex port. You can plumb the rest from there.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It's been a long week.

If you're talking about the adapter in that Lowes link you posted, no, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that most store bought threaded pvc stuff won't work (or work as easily), since the intex threads are non-standard.

You can make your own adapter with the Carlon part, a threaded intex hose nut, and some pvc.

You sand the lettering off of the Carlon part to provide a smooth mating surface for the gasket on the opening you're connecting to. Slide the threaded nut over the Carlon adapter, then you prep and glue the adapter to a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe, leaving enough room for the threaded nut to still turn.

This becomes your homemade adapter and threads perfectly onto the intex port. You can plumb the rest from there.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It's been a long week.

Ah yes, this makes sense.. only thing, i think i found the carlon at lowes.. unsure if its exactly the same as the HD one or not.. appears to be in theory anyway. edit, oops, appears to be the 1.25" version not 1.5".. guess i'm stuck ordering from HD since there is none near me.

Ah yes, this makes sense.. only thing, i think i found the carlon at lowes.. unsure if its exactly the same as the HD one or not.. appears to be in theory anyway. edit, oops, appears to be the 1.25" version not 1.5".. guess i'm stuck ordering from HD since there is none near me.

The HD ones came in, however, backflush wise, i just realized I cant do what i hoped to. I wanted to run a PVC pipe all the way to my downspout street drain by my front porch, diggin into the ground and placing the pvc (100 feet or so), but, since the pipe would end up going uphill at the end, that wont work (haha).. i'd end up with frozen busted pipe in the winter, because standing water would remain.

I think ill end up using this mod on the backwash just to attach a 1.5" flexi hose and aiming it in a better spot to drain to the street. (somewhat in yard but not as bad.. into my custom drain i made at least).

The HD ones came in, however, backflush wise, i just realized I cant do what i hoped to. I wanted to run a PVC pipe all the way to my downspout street drain by my front porch, diggin into the ground and placing the pvc (100 feet or so), but, since the pipe would end up going uphill at the end, that wont work (haha).. i'd end up with frozen busted pipe in the winter, because standing water would remain.

I think ill end up using this mod on the backwash just to attach a 1.5" flexi hose and aiming it in a better spot to drain to the street. (somewhat in yard but not as bad.. into my custom drain i made at least).

I had an extra Intex nut left over after my conversion. I used a 5 inch piece of Intex hose, along with the nut, and slid some of the cheap 1.5 inch backwash hose on it. It took some heating with a hair dryer, and some stretching to make it fit though. Once I had it on there, I put a zip tie on to hold it in place. When I use it, I just unroll it to where I want the water to run off to, then, just roll it back up.

David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had an extra Intex nut left over after my conversion. I used a 5 inch piece of Intex hose, along with the nut, and slid some of the cheap 1.5 inch backwash hose on it. It took some heating with a hair dryer, and some stretching to make it fit though. Once I had it on there, I put a zip tie on to hold it in place. When I use it, I just unroll it to where I want the water to run off to, then, just roll it back up.

David

I have the same thing... Happy with it.. ?

That has been used 4-5 times in the last few weeks (not backwashing, but, draining due to heavy rains). Once you shut the pump off, it will go back flat on it's own. Then, just roll it back up. The roll in my pic, is 25 feet long, and takes up very little space (if only vacuum hose would do that and still work, lol).

David

Went this way.

I'm revisiting this again this year.. still unclear on the outlet port, the white/gray threaded nut that is against the pool liner on the outside.. where does this come from.. ie: whats in the hole? Mine only has the thick black plastic tube type strainer that shoves in.. what intex adapter is now in that hole, unclear? I get that you have to use the box adapter to make the threaded ring that spins, work.. but i'm not finding the model/part that goes in the hole.. do you end up making a bigger outlet hole (assume i'd need to lower the water down below it to do all this).

One of these, and yes, you'll have to cut a bigger hole with an Xacto knife.

Intex Large Strainer Replacement Part Inclduing Washer and Nut | 11236 Intex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EHVS9A/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_awdo_x_w7K7ybM9MRBMK via @amazon

I've always wondered if you could do this without draining the pool first by holding a bowl over the area from the inside or something like that. If you try it, please have a video camera running.

One of these, and yes, you'll have to cut a bigger hole with an Xacto knife.

Intex Large Strainer Replacement Part Inclduing Washer and Nut | 11236 Intex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EHVS9A/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_awdo_x_w7K7ybM9MRBMK via @amazon

I've always wondered if you could do this without draining the pool first by holding a bowl over the area from the inside or something like that. If you try it, please have a video camera running.

Thanks for confirming that this is in fact the right adapter.. yeah if i decide to try this without draining it below it, a video would be hilarious in the event of disaster lol (i was hoping to pvc/change these without cutting but maybe this is best route)
and i guess from the outside of the pool on those threads i can just put a right angle elbox pvc female connector and go from there

looks like no box connector would be needed either

edit: i guess in theory the bowl idea could be tested on the inside of the pool.. i can pull the hose off after putting something over the area and see if it gushes out.. if it doesnt i'm good to go, just take the washer cut the inside of it out and replace the valve, in theory

When I cut mine out, I did it with the pool full, and had my wife hold a large bowl over the area on the inside. All we lost was the water in the bowl. :)
did mine with a smaller bowl and to put new intake in... i put the hose adapter that came with intex skimmer on the fitting and then a plug that came with the pool. once hole was cut did a quick swap woth minimal water loss and plenty of time to screw on the valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.