Best grout for salt water tiled pool in Costa Rica?

Mar 6, 2011
Trying to figure out the best grout to use for our SWG tile pool in Costa Rica. Pool is only two years old and much the original grout is badly pitted. I have no idea what the contractor used but want to replace it with something that will last. Thanks for he help.

Welcome to the forum :lol: It is possible the grout was never at fault but your water was "aggressive" (pH way too low for an extended period). Most pools go for years and years with no effect on just plain ole' normal grout but it's because the pH and CH are at the correct levels.

How are you testing your water and how often? Do you have current test results?

Dave -
Thanks much for your response. After spending some time reading previous threads and other basic docs on this site, I think you are (I say with my tail between my legs..) right. I was schooled by a local guy here who told me the best thing I could do with my new pool was "leave it alone"... Water _looked_ like it was fine but I was not paying attention to chemistry. Now, with a newly ordered TF Testkit, and having read the BBB doc, I hope to change all that... That being said, is there generally some kind of grout better than others for SWG pools? I have to do something with this horribly eroded and pitted grout... A local pool company told me I should use an epoxy grout (such as LATAPOXY® SP-100 or LATICRETE® SpectraLOCK™ PRO Grout). Other thing I should mention, our water (coming from a spring) is very soft and we get about 18-20' (yes, that is "feet") of rain a year. And it is so hot here we get a lot of evaporation. All this to say that there is constantly new fresh water coming into the pool...

Thanks again for your help.
Richard

Hi, Richard,

I would clearly say that epoxy grout is the most durable by a pretty good margin. That said, it is pretty difficult to work with and it may be troublesome finding someone to use it.

Normal grout (I used Custom Building Products from Home Depot) has held up flawlessly for me over a seven year period so I am reluctant to criticize it (or any other latex fortified grout).

From the description of your water source, it's beginning to sound like the pool water might be "starving" for Calcium. When that's the case, the pool water will literally leach the calcium from the grout to satisfy it's demand.

I'm pretty sure epoxy grout cannot be leached regardless so, if you can get it put in, that may be the best bet but I think if you can keep your Calcium Hardness up around 250-400 and your pH around 7.5 or so, you will likely eliminate the problem.

Reactions: Hulaomr
Like Dave said, I'd go with epoxy if you can find someone who knows how to apply it. With the amount of rain you get, it would mean adding so much calcium (repeatedly) that the more expensive epoxy would pay for itself fairly quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.