Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Cholrine test is dark Orange Color

Cholrine test is dark Orange Color

My Chlorine test is a dark orange, why?
    Here are the results of the rest of my test
    FC = 18.5
    CC=1
    PH=7.5
    TA=100
    CH=60
    CYA=100

Thanks,
    Robert
    Pool Size = 12,000 gallons
    Cartridge Filter
    In Ground Plaster Pool
    Pump = 1.5 HP Pentair

Re: Cholrine test is dark Orange Color

Welcome to TFP!

I assume you are talking about the OTO chlorine test: a vial with a color chart, you add five drops, which normally turns the sample different shades of yellow, which are then matched against samples on the color chart. The OTO test is normally used to measure TC levels between 0 and 5. You can, however, use this test to get a vague idea of extremely high TC levels. If the sample turns a particularly vivid yellow the TC level is between 5 and 15, light orange is between 10 and 20, dark orange is between 15 and 30, and brown is 30 or higher.

Since your FC level is 18.5, the OTO test is expected to turn some medium to dark shade of orange.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thanks, I am new to this type of testing. Do my test levels look ok?
    Robert
    Cartridge Filter
    In Ground Plaster Pool
    Pump = 1.5 HP Pentair

Assuming your numbers are correct, your largest problem is that your CYA level is too high. The standard CYA test reads levels over 100 as if they were 100, so your level might actually be quite high. If at all possible I recommend water replacement to get the CYA level down below 100. Before starting on that, make sure you are fairly confident of your CYA test results. One approach to double check is to mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water together and then do a CYA test with that and multiply the result by two.

Your CH level is way too low for a plaster pool. However, you don't want to do anything about this until you have done whatever water replacement you are going to do.

Finally, a CC reading of 1.0 is too high. You never want CC above 0.5. But I wouldn't worry about that too much just at first. If the CC level remains high for a couple of days after you get CYA down to something more reasonable, then work on the CC level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thanks, I took the water to a pool store and they tested the CYA at 80 and said it was too high, so that confirms that test.
    How much water do I need to drain in order to get the CYA down?
    Robert
    Cartridge Filter
    In Ground Plaster Pool
    Pump = 1.5 HP Pentair

Theoretically you need to drain 50% of your water if your CYA really is 100. But If it were me I'd drain about 1/3rd and retest. You may have to do it a couple of times to get it down to about 50 or so.

If you don't have your own test kit you really should consider getting one. I recommend the TF-100.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Thank you will pass this along.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013