Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about running cleaner and two speed pump.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about running cleaner and two speed pump.

I have a two speed pump and a booster pump for my cleaner (Hayward Viper).

Currently I have it setup to filter and run my AutoPilot on low speed. I then run the cleaner/booster pump in conjunction with the main pump on high.

I have the high speed to provide enough flow for the built in spa.

Can I run the cleaner with the pump on low or does it have to run on high?

I'd like to only run the pump on high for the spa and run it on low for everything else.

thanks,
    Dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2
    There isn't any reason you can't run the boster pump while the main pump is on low. There is some chance that the boster pump will reduce the flow to the AutoPilot enough for it to turn off while the boster pump is running, but that is both easily checked and not a serious problem if you don't run the boster pump too much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I just reconfigured my timer and it appears to be working fine. The AutoPilot says the cell is ON and I can see the random bubble flow through the bypass of the cell.

This is great, yet another way to reduce my electrical consumption.

Honestly, it looks like the only time I need the high speed pump is for the spa. I guess that makes sense.

thanks
    dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .