Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Fish - Do they work? Any drawbacks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Fish - Do they work? Any drawbacks?

Just wondering if the Solar Fish actually helps retain a significant amount of heat in the pool water and, if so, are there any drawbacks to using them, i.e. film buildup on tile or skin, effects on filter, etc.

Thanks
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Fish - Do they work? Any drawbacks?

I have purchased several different brands over the years and found that they are a complete waste of money.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

The only draw back is the waste of money.. Based on what I've read they don't do anything! Use a solar cover instead, along with a good roller to make your life easier (the rocky roller is great).
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

4. Back To Top    #4

They do in fact do something just so little that it is kind of pointless. They release a chemical which forms a layer on top of the water designed to prevent evaporation. If the air is completely calm they kind of work, but even the slightest breeze will disrupt the layer and allow evaporation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I'll keep my money in my wallet.

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, hold on a second. I have used them in the past with good success. I still think they have value, and am planning on hooking the product up to an inline unit to feed in place of the fish. This is a product that is Health department approved (not easy to get) and does retain heat.

I think they run about $10.00 and last a month or so. I'd spend the ten bucks and see if they work before I make a decision. They look a million times better than any cover I've ever seen!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I too have seen liquid blankets work. I've also seen various degrees of quality of liquid blankets. I would say they are about 30-40% of what a true blanket is, which most of the manufacturers would probably concur with.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    I think they run about $10.00 and last a month or so. I'd spend the ten bucks and see if they work before I make a decision. They look a million times better than any cover I've ever seen!
    How do you know if it works though? If it's a bit less windy for a month you may be under the impression that it works..
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

9. Back To Top    #9

If they are $10, buy it and try it.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    They do in fact do something just so little that it is kind of pointless. They release a chemical which forms a layer on top of the water designed to prevent evaporation. If the air is completely calm they kind of work, but even the slightest breeze will disrupt the layer and allow evaporation.
    Jason's right, they are pretty pointless. Any wind at all and they do not work. In fact, even if its's calm, they dont work. If you want to hold in heat, get a solor blanket.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    How do you know if it works though? If it's a bit less windy for a month you may be under the impression that it works..
    I know because I wasn't losing heat over night. Typically I was losing about 6 degrees over night, which I obviously had to make up the next day. With the fish I was retaining that heat, and I could see it on my temp reading in the morning.

Extremely windy conditions do disrupt the "cover". Daytime pool usage and operation will minimize its efficiency. However, for keeping temps in over night, they work (from my experience) well.

I sure didn't build my pool to look at a cover I'm sticking with the fish

12. Back To Top    #12

I tried several brands of fish. No noticable difference. So I bought the"bubble wrap" solar cover. Big improvement. No comparison. And yes the fish look better than the cover, but the cash in my wallet saved from using the solar cover looks even better to me
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.