Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Navigator

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Navigator

I have a 40X20 inground pool. Yesterday my Hayward Navigator started giving me problems. All of a sudden it gets stuck in the corners or at the steps. If I turn it manually it does not make the usual patterns, it just goes straight until it gets to a wall or corner and gets stuck again. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this problem? TIA
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Navigator

Check for debris stuck inside. Also, check the turbine, bearings and 'A' frame

3. Back To Top    #3

No debris inside, check bearings and A frame - look good. Could it possibly be the gear box?
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

4. Back To Top    #4

I would have a look in the gearbox as they will block very easy with long hair or any stringy type grass or leaf matter.
    25,000 gallon plaster dive pool, Eclipse sand filter, 1 HP Centurion pump, Baracuda G3, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Southern California

Navs have so many moving parts, internally as well, you basically have to open it up and go through it and check every part you can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Phoenix Arizona

Mine was doing the same thing.
    It walked on pool bottom fine, however it rarely turned. After taking apart the gearbox and cleaning, still it would work for about 15-30 minutes then stop turning.
    After I replaced the gear box, for less than $20 on-line, it works well now.

I guess some of the gears wear worn, no real obvious signs or issues when I looked at it and the 10 or so gears inside.
    Try cleaning the gear box first, if that does not work then I would replace gear box.

(Assuming it appears to walk well, and feet are in good shape and not to worn)
    1) 11,000 gallons
    2) Hayward Sta Clear C17502 cartridge filter (175 sq ft) 125 GPM rating
    3) In Ground w/2"plumbing
    4) Pebble-Sheen finish
    5) 1.0 HP (1.5 with SF) Hayward Super Pump (runs at 10 psi at the filter)

7. Back To Top    #7

I found an inexpensive and easy to install "clip" that fits onto the pool main drain and keeps the Hayward Navigator from getting stuck. Go to http:/ and check it out.