Which SWG for Intelliflo VF without separate automation?

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Was considering getting the Intelliflo VF pump as well as a SWG. I don't have a separate automation unit, as my pool is ~18K and has no spa/waterfall/etc (may want to run a cleaner for a couple hours a day though). I was going to get the Intelliflo VF as that has some automation built in.

My question is that I've read that without a separate automation unit, I may not be able to make fine gradation changes in the % of time the SWG was running. Is there an SWG that would allow me to do this? If not, any ideas for solutions? I don't really want to spend money on an automation unit when I don't really need one for my simple pool. Thanks!

Several different SWGs allow setting the percentage by ones. The only major one that doesn't is the Pentair IntelliChlor when used without an automation system. I'd suggest looking at the Hayward Aqua Rite, or AutoPilot Digital.

the way I solved a similar issue was to install a current control relay that turns on or off the IntelliChlor transformer (and thus the IC40 cell) based on the power curve of the VF pump.

if my chlorine numbers are too high I simply dial down the macromatic to disable the IntelliChlor for a day or two, if too low, I dial it to keep the IntelliChlor turned on for a longer time.

I use 2 cycles, first one from 06:01 to 11:59 at 20 GPM (Feature 3 enabled which overrides the Filter program), second from 18:00 to 23:59 at 15 GPM. Setup program has pool size as 25 k as otherwise the VF drops into sleep mode when it detects the 1 turnover by day goal has been reached (another way is to change the turnover desired to 2 per day).

this in addition to the 20% to max adjustment range for generation on the IC40 cell appears to work as desired.

another way I can bypass the IntelliChlor is to set the VF to run manually 24 hours / day at 95 watts and it keeps the transformer turned off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.