New Construction in Florida

pool1999

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2011
727-Florida
Well, this is it. We have begun the process of having a pool installed and the dig will begin in a few weeks. We selected a Blue Hawaiian Fiberglass pool, the "Bayshore" model ( 14"X30"X6"). I chose fiberglass because i use a wheelchair and concrete just scrapes up my legs and knees big time. We went with a local builder who had great references with the BBB and Angies List. His quote was the best out of the three we interviewed and we both just felt comfortable with him ( Hawaiian Island Pools out of New Port Richey). I have never owned a pool so this is all new to me but the information on this site has been invaluable! My back yard has a tree that is going to be removed and we are also having 800sq feet of concrete deck with the acrylic coating installed with the pool. For a dude in a wheelchair concrete is my friend and tree roots are not,lol. I never go in my back yard now but that is soon going to change for the better :-D We are also going with the salt Chlorinator ( Aqua Rite) , Hayward 1hp pump, Cartridge filter, and a big pool party that everyone is invited to. Thank you all in advance for the help because i know i will be asking questions along the way........

I have been preparing the back yard for the pool......electric line moved, cable line moved and the permit has been submitted. Once the tree has been taken out and the dig starts i will pose some more pictures.

I have a question about how wide the concrete decking should be. I am having a fiberglass pool installed and i was wondering what the minimum amount of concrete that needs to be put around the pool. The majority of the pool will be surrounded with plenty of concrete but there is one area that will have only 3'. Is that enough to keep the pool safe from say, heavy rain? We get about 45" per year on a good year.....hurricanes mean more, lots more. My PB uses gravel to backfill around the pool but would a wider deck help keep water heavy sand away from the pool walls?

Today my beloved Red Maple was removed, along with my favorite Grapefruit tree. In all reality, i will trade both of those trees for a pool in a heartbeat. I can plant more trees ( and have to, according to local code) but a pool is.....well, PRICELESS!

Tomorrow the dig and pool delivery. YIKES, my back yard is gona' look a lot different :whoot:

Attachments

• TFP1.jpg
    TFP1.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 662
Today is the day! We are so excited, the pool is on its way :party: I will be posting lots of pictures. We both took the day off from work to be here, its not that often in life that you get a pool installed!

Attachments

• TFP3.jpg
    TFP3.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 624
  • tfp4.jpg
    tfp4.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 624

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great Bro, can't wait for the pool party, keep posting new pics and I will lokk at them throughout the day. Never realized how much shade that Maple gave till I saw the yard with out it....keeps the picks coming and have fun :party:

keirster2 said:
Good bye old small patio....HELLO BIG NEW POOL DECK......Yippee!!!

:-D Its amazing what they can do with the right equipment......we are going to need the space for a wheelchair ramp that i can ride down and jump off into the pool, hahaha, just kidding........well maybe :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.