Aqua Genie Leak at Bottom of Skimmer

Mar 5, 2011
I have an old Buster Crab Vinyl Pool with an Aqua Genie Skimmer. About two weeks ago it developed a very slow leak. During a two day period the water level drops about two inches to the bottom of the skimmer inlet and then the leak stops. The skimmer 'box' holds water, but the area where the water flows from the pool into the box is basically dry. I have tried dye and looked all around the skimmer for cracks, but nothing. I think the leak must be in the flapper hinge area, which I can't see. Is there some sort of sealant that I can isolate in the skimmer 'box' that might seal the leak? Any suggestions?

One more problem now. The leaking water seems to have gotten between my liner and the liner wall. I've been pumping it out, but there are several 'bubbles' that haven't disappered.

OK one more problem. I've been waiting two weeks for the a leak detection firm to come out and still have 4 days to go. The water is green. Can it be saved or has it 'spoiled'?

Welcome to the forum :lol:
During a two day period the water level drops about two inches to the bottom of the skimmer inlet and then the leak stops.
If the water stops once it can no longer enter the skimmer, could it be the piping that connects the skimmer to the pump? I may have misunderstood what you posted but that sounds like it may be a place to look.

Is this an AG or IG pool?

Sorry I didn't pick up on that in your first post. That is a fairly unusual place for a leak.

I don't know of any sealant that would help. Can you look around in there with the help of a mirror and flashlight?

I went ahead and ripped the flapper out and there seemed to be old sealant along the bottom of the skimmer where the flapper rod was. This is where the section of the skimmer protruds through the wall of the pool. I resealed it and will refill tomorrow.

What is the small white tube, maybe 1/8" in diameter that runs through this section of the skimmer? Can I seal it up? It sticks up about 1/4" off the bottom of this portion of the skimmer (the portion that runs through the pool wall) and then disappears into the bottom wall of the skimmer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks again for all the help.

What is the small white tube, maybe 1/8" in diameter that runs through this section of the skimmer?
I am not familiar with the skimmer but when I googled it, it looks like it might be a feed tube for a removable chlorine cannister.

My assumption is you do not use it to chlorinate (I hope not) and it can certainly be removed. Google "aqua genie skimmer" and the website with a good diagram comes right up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.