Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a new filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a new filter

My old Hayward S200 sand filter has a crack in the top and leaks water, so I guess it's time to get a new one. It started leaking at the very end of last swim season, so I need to get something different before I open it back up in May. Should I replace it with the exact same thing or would it be wise to switch to something entirely different? I have a 10,000 gallon inground pool, with a 3/4 hp Hayward SuperPump. A new S200 on ebay goes for a little over $500. I can spend more than that but would prefer not to break the bank. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a new filter

I would suggest a 26" Pentair Sand Dollar. Hayward sand filter are trouble prone. I assume you have all 1.5" plumbing.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward S210S is the model that replaces the S200

If you have the space available take a look at the S244s. It is only $75 more and will do an excellent job.
    It will hold 300 lbs of sand as compared to the 200 lbs with the S200 for a larger filtration area. Backwash fewer times per season.
    It has 1 1/2" plumbing and a new 6 way valve.

How many years did you get out of your S200 filter?
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hayward's center pipe issue is my buggaboo there.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

The side mount models have the shorter two piece center pipes. The top mount models have a long pipe in the center.

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/replace_ ... ay2009.pdf

Have you seen service issues with the side mount models, the top mount models or both?
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

6. Back To Top    #6

IMO and regardless of brand, I think both of those filters are too large for that pump and you won't get a good backwash. A 26 inch filter is about 70% larger than a 20 inch. You should have a minimum of 15 gpm per sq ft to properly backwash a sand or DE filter.

Having said the above, I really don't have much actual experience with the smaller filters w/top mount valves and maybe they perform outside of what I consider to be normal acceptable backwash rates.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm perfectly happy with an S220T (250lb sand) which would pair up just fine with a 3/4hp super pump
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe I am not calculating the flow rate for this pump correctly. Please help.

How much head on average would there be on a pump to backwash a sand filter connected via 1.5 " pipe?
    All of these filters should have a backwash rate greater than 15 gpm/ sq ft. with a 3/4 hp Superpump.

A 3/4 hp Superpump flows 61 gpm at 20 ft of head.

61 divided by the filtration area in sq ft should equal the gallons per minute per sq ft?

An S210 is 2.20 sq ft. so that is 27.7 gpm/sq ft
    An S244 is 3.1 sq ft. so that is 19.6 gpm/sq ft
    The Sand Dollar SD80 is 3.5 sq ft or 17.4 gpm/sq ft

What is the acceptable backwash rate for DE filters?
    Say the filter is 36, 48 or 60 sq ft connected to a 3/4 hp Superpump?

Thanks for your help
    poolschoolgrad

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, I have 1.5" plumbing and I'm not sure how long the S200 lasted. I bought the house in Oct. '06 and it looked old then.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the above suggestions. Anyone else have any input?