Paristaltic pump operation

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
I have been doing a lot of research at this site. I am building a new pool and considering options for sanitation. I have a lot of stone including both limestone and sandstone around the pool so I ruled out SWCG. The builder included Ozone and a trichlor feeder. After reading about the CYA build up, I am reluctant to go with the pucks. I know that adding bleach everyday by hand will not be a viable option for me. So, I am looking for alternatives.

I like the idea of the pump for chlorine but have a question. Does the pump need to operate in conjunction with the main pump? I assume it would but that would require a bit of programming to ensure that it operates at the appropriate dosage level.

Thanks

Yes the simplest way is to plug the dosing pump into the same socket as the pool pump (possibly on a separate timer so it can ONLY operate when the pool pump is running. More sophisticated dosing systems will monitor the ORP and make a reasonable guess on the dosing, better (read more expensive) systems will use amperometric chlorine sensors instead of ORP and they are a lot more accurate.

Don't forget to include another dosing pump for PH-

loweran said:
That is what I assumed. I have a EasyTouch 8 with an open relay, so I am assuming that I could just wire it in and program the system to provide power to the pump when the main is running.

You don't need to use the extra relay socket if you simply want to interlock it to the pump. You can cut the wire to the relay and splice the other relay off of it. Make sure you power down the unit of course. If you are going to put it on its own relay I would advise that you put it on peri pump on aux 1 and flip the dip switch for aux 1 to be a cleaner, that way if the pool pump shuts off the peri pump does as well.

I used a peristaltic pump for acid addition for about 5 years. Worked great.
Many of the pumps have a knob for speed adjustment. I used a timer to
run the pump when the filter pump was running. Required a little
tweaking to get the timing correct. On most pools the pH moves very slowly
so it take a little time to get the adjustment right.

I also used a peristaltic pump for chlorine. It pumped from a 15 gal barrel. Used the
same system with a timer. Worked fine for the same time. The only problem I had was
when I forgot to refill the barrel. Don't use clear plastic tubing as it will only last about
a year. The black plastic has UV inhibitors and will last.

Now have a salt system in the present house.

Cliffs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.