Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which is better for Above ground pools 1-1/2" or 2" PVC

1. Back To Top    #1

Which is better for Above ground pools 1-1/2" or 2" PVC

Hello All,
    I have done some searches in the forums, and most of the references to using 2" are for inground pools, so I thought I would ask the question, can I use ALL 2" PVC piping and valves for a 24' Above ground pool with a 1.5 HP single speed pump and 22" (60GPM) sand filter?

All the connections on my Pump, filter, skimmer, return fitting, and ozonator are 1-1/2", but my heater is 2"/2-1/2", there is very little cost difference in going from 1-1/2" to 2", but I'll have to reduce to 1-1/2" at each equipment connection (besides the Heater of coarse), My pipe runs will be around 15' to and from the pool into my pool shed. I intend on using Jandy or pentair Neverlube valves.
    I have attached my proposed setup.

Which will perform better, 1-1/2" or 2"?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Beep!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which is better for Above ground pools 1-1/2" or 2" PVC

Bigger pipe is almost always better. Given the distances you'll be dealing with it probably won't make much difference but if it were me I'd go ahead and use the 2" everywhere I could.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll go with 2" then. I wasn't sure if having to reduce it down to 1-1/2" at each equipment connection would create turbulant problems or something?
    24' round x 54" Tahitian (Sharkline), 1.5HP Sta-rite Pump, 22" 250lb. sand filter with Zeo-best media, Hayward H250FDN heater, Del Clear Ozonator, SWG or Rola-Chem feeder, not sure?, Trident Automatic Pool Cleaner, 100Watt Nightlighter, Underwater light show and fountain, 2" Hard Plumbed.
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

4. Back To Top    #4

Using reducers is fine. The pump would probably prefer if the reducer was about a foot before the pump intake, but that is only a very small difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP

A 1.5hp pump is a bit much for a 24ft pool and 3/4hp would be just about right with a 200lb sand filter. Not sure if you have the opportunity to change that?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi dmanb2b,
    Thanks, but it's too late, already have it sitting in my garage, (22" 250lb sand filter with zeobrite media, and the 1.5 HP Sta-rite dynamo pump).
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

7. Back To Top    #7

Got my valves, and unions ordered!
    Just need to get rid of this white stuff!
    And move the trailer of course!
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

8. Back To Top    #8

That 1½ hp Dynamo pump is pretty big but it's not as big as it sounds. They kinda fool you because the Sf is set at .95 or 1 so it's actually the same size, or even smaller than a full rated 1 hp pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah the pump only has a FLA rating of 12A.
    I have another question about my plumbing setup, the pipe between the Pump and filter, should I use the pipe that came with it (its smooth wall flexible 1-1/2", or should I hard plumb it with 1-1/2 pvc? (See Picture)
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!

10. Back To Top    #10

Going with all rigid PVC everywhere is more efficient and more reliable, but having a short piece of flex hose somewhere really won't make very much of a difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Jason,
    I think then I will use the flex line for that short peice simply because the unions I have are 2" and I would have to reduce to 1-1/2" on each side of the union which is going to make that section pretty much all 1-1/2" anyways, while the rest of the plumbing setup is 2", not sure if that will affect anything?
    Wishin Isa Swimmin!