Pentair iPad / iPhone interface

ed0846

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 30, 2011
Has anyone installed this iPhone interface on thier system. The part number 520500 includes an interface adapter and a wireless router (plus a Cat 5 cable, softward CD & manual). Based on a pic on one web site, it appears to be a run of the mill D-link wireless router. My question is...why do I need another wireless router? Why can't I plug the interface adapter into one of the ports on my existing router?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't seen one installed yet with "i" interface.

In the 2011 Pentair catalog they only list it as one way as part # 520500 which includes the protocol adapter and wireless router. It also includes PC interface software for Windows.

No other purchase options listed.

ed0846 said:
. My question is...why do I need another wireless router? Why can't I plug the interface adapter into one of the ports on my existing router?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure that you couldn't flash the firmware onto a standard router, but there is some proprietary communication link between their router, and the protocol adapter.

Trust me even if Pentair Removed the router from the package, it would still be expensive (see iLink) I really dont like to mess with my clients units, but I should have one here next week to tinker with. I see if I can rip the hex off the router, and see if its possible to flash onto another. Then again, it may be futile, because you can't buy the protocol adapter by itself.

Hi,

I have questions about this interface as well, I am considering purchasing it for my new pool.

Does it require an "always on" pc in the house or software to be installed on a host pc to run? I want to control the pool with ipad or iphone and a spa commander spa side remote.

I also have a conduit run back to the pool pad for communication cables, do I need the wireless router? I know it comes with it. Does anyone have a link to the install manual?

Yes, you need the router, it has special software to interface to the automation system. You don't need to use the wireless portion of the router if you don't want to, ie everything can be hardwired. No you don't need a computer on all the time, the router does that.

I am using the Pentair iPhone app. I am very disappointed with it. I was hope to use my iPad and old iPhone to control the pool, instead of buying one of their wireless controllers. I am still thinking about buy a wireless controller but the $800 cost is a bit much after all the money I already spent on upgrade from the EasyTouch to the intelliTouch. First there is no iPad app, it is just the iphone app on the iPad. The only thing it is good for is turning the spa, blower and pool lights on (I had to make a macro for the pool lights so not sure if it will work on the i5+3 board). You can not make any adjustment to the equipment (i.e. pump speed, chlorinator or color of the intelliBrite). You need to get on the computer and use the ScreenLogic software, which can use a lot of updating.

At time the iPhone app will not connect over the internet. It can go for a week and never connect then one day it will start working, no clue why, I have the app on a couple of phones, Tried rebooting the phone, router and no luck and then on day it will just start to work.

I think the route is an off the shelf route that was pre-configured for the system. The only thing it looks like they added to the router setting is some port forwarding. I asked tech support if I reset the route will it lose the settings, the answer was YES. So I wrote down all of there setting in case I need to replace the router.

ed0846 said:
Wow...you are making me re-think my plans to go with Intellitouch. Maybe I am better off with Easy touch!

I wish Pentair would get off their butts and update the iPhone/iPad apps and the ScreenLogic software. If they did the intelliTouch would be a sweet system. I bet the software has not been updated in 3 or 4 years. It was designed for WinXP. I do not think they a Mac client yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I read about a couple of people not using the dlink adapter it comes with and instead just plugging into existing comms. It seems to work fine, the only challenge being that it runs on 192.168.1 or 192.168.2 (can't remember which) so first time you connect you need to make sure you are on the same subnet to get to it.

Coincidentally I ordered the 520500 kit about two hours ago, I hunted down the OEM adapter from HomeLogic and it's $450 itself so I just went ahead and bought 520500 for $470 shipped.

JasonLion said:
The EasyTouch system is plenty for most people.
And I don't have a very sophisticated system...just a pool with heater, so I am sure I'll never outgrow an Easy Touch . I did like the idea of using my laptop or iPad to control things though.

ed0846 said:
JasonLion said:
The EasyTouch system is plenty for most people.
And I don't have a very sophisticated system...just a pool with heater, so I am sure I'll never outgrow an Easy Touch . I did like the idea of using my laptop or iPad to control things though.

I like the being able to turn the spa on from the road and have it ready when I get home. In the winter when the water is 45* it can take 45 minutes + to get it up to 85*. I just wish they would update the apps and make it available on android phones. They are still trying to sell their PDA controller. They need to be more like Sonos, they stopped pushing there over priced remotes and now push their free phone apps. I need to post my problem with my system, I just might be doing something wrong. I want to take some screen shots for the posting to help explain my issue.

If you do go with the intelliTouch get the i7+3 or greater. The i5+3 will not do macros.

Screenlogic version 5.0 will be out within a few months. This will be a redesigned interface and it will also now support the Easytouch systems.

You can remove the included router from the system, but you will need to change some things. First, Pentair does not support other routers (with the included router it just works). Second, you have to open ports 444 and 7500-8500. Third, you need to configure the adapter so that it's dns = your router.

cadillac said:
Screenlogic version 5.0 will be out within a few months. This will be a redesigned interface and it will also now support the Easytouch systems.

You can remove the included router from the system, but you will need to change some things. First, Pentair does not support other routers (with the included router it just works). Second, you have to open ports 444 and 7500-8500. Third, you need to configure the adapter so that it's dns = your router.

Can't wait for the update!!! :cheers:

Lershac said:
Well if it rolls out as fast as the load base panel with integrated swg power we will all be too old to swim then
And it is because of that delay that I did not pull the trigger on the Intellitouch and after reading some recent comments on this forum, I am now pretty sure I'll go with Easytouch instead. Saving a few hundred $$$ too!

lots of misinformation in this thread. I've installed about 30 of the pentair screen logic systems (including one at my own house for about 6 years.). some facts below

1. I have never used yhe pentair router in any install. there is nothing special about it and it uses standard firmware. it is best to just hook the adaptor directly to your house router, but you might need to change the ip address if it doesnt match your house. this takes about 30 seconds with the pentair software.

2. there is no need to open any ports with screen logic as it uses the home logic relay server. if you were using a full homelogic (now élan g!) system you would want to open ports.

3. screenlogic has worked without a single issue for me for 6 years. my customers all love it..and it works fast and consistently.

4. screenlogic 2 will be out within 60 days which will have much more functionality and will work with easy touch.

5. the load panel for intellitouch with the swg power supply will be out in august (hopefully!)

6. the home logic branded interface is just a dumb serial brick and does not contain the pool software. you need the pentair interface to get screen logic unless you buy one of the bigger élan systems.

7. sorry for the typos..this was written on my iPad.

Feel free to contact me for any screenlogic questions.

tony c

Lershac said:
Well if it rolls out as fast as the load base panel with integrated swg power we will all be too old to swim then

That's a timely statement because the new easytouch panel was released last week. I'm sure the intellitouch is soon to follow.

cadillac said:
Lershac said:

That's a timely statement because the new easytouch panel was released last week. I'm sure the intellitouch is soon to follow.

Is there a part number on the new panel. My internet searching is only showing the 520593 panel.
Thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.