Pentair iPad / iPhone interface

archonis said:
Jason, You stated "archonis, your logic doesn't completely hold, since the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad are not at all waterproof."

Pentair has never clam there remotes are waterproof. In fact, there not. Even the new QT4 is not waterproof.

I think they dumbed down the interface on purpose, and I am thankfull for that.

You can do everything with the screenlogic software on PC that you could with an indoor control panel.

It all comes down to what kind of people run the division. The kind that embrace a new technology and see that lower price = more units shipped (dont have to buy that expensive remote, just the overpriced logic board and interface), or the kind that are dragged kicking and screaming (ahem record companies) to a new inevitable business model.

Lets hope for embracers.

Lershac said:
It all comes down to what kind of people run the division. The kind that embrace a new technology and see that lower price = more units shipped (dont have to buy that expensive remote, just the overpriced logic board and interface), or the kind that are dragged kicking and screaming (ahem record companies) to a new inevitable business model.

Lets hope for embracers.

I ask, (and I know this isnt up to pentair) why they don't just let the software be open source. Some of the best code in the HA world has been written by DIY coders.

archonis said:
New CLC:
Those are not out yet, I think the last i heard will still be a few months. This is what you call a soft release. Some are out there but not many. Every now and then they ship a few hundred before killing the old ones just to be sure there is no issues.

The easytouch new style load centers are very much fully released. Now the intellitouch ones are still a bit off. New stuff generally shows up in the markets with higher demand, the north east region will probably have old stock for a while.

I have the Intellitouch/ScreenLogic interface on our pool that was installed late last year.
I have it connected directly to my home router and not the Pentair supplied router.
As mentioned, the relay server eliminates the need for port forwarding so remote connections have worked fine without any configuration changes to my router.

I would agree that the interface is long overdue for an update but the convenience is worth the extra cost for me.
Being able to remotely check the temp and turn on the heat/lights/deck jets as needed are my primary uses. We have a old iPhone/iPod in a waterproof case by the pool for easy access.

The IOS app is less functional than the PC app but you can use TeamViewer (a free app for personal use) to connect to your PC/ScreenLogic machine from your IOS device. It's a decent workaround until the native app becomes more robust.

Pentair technical support was extremely help in troubleshooting an issue I had with the software.
They were able to remotely connect to my system a resolve my issue.

Good luck,
Token

I hope Pentair sees the light on this and invests deeply in the iPhone / iPad control capability across the whole line (including easy touch). Whatever shift mix they lose from folks buying control pads and ET vs. IT will be more than made up for share they take from Jandy & Hayward.

I just made a > $5K purchase decision based on the fact that Pentair has better control options, specifically the iPhone app. I would have gone Jandy instead, I had the other dealer all lined up.

I'd go so far as to say they missed by not including an ethernet port on the new equipment modules. Make it easy for people to love your products, not hard.

If pentair doesn't invest here, I'm sure on of their competitors will.

Even with the iphone / ipad capability, there will always still be a market for the dedicated pentair wireless remotes. Although they are not "toss it into the pool" waterproof, they are still rugged enough to sit on a table poolside, get dropped, get left in direct sun, etc. I think that there will be some folks like me, who really want to use their iphone or Ipad, and other folks that might not want it for their particular situation. Personally, I feel no urgent need for the remote to be waterproof. Water resistant (ie, it's not going to get damaged should someone handle it with wet hands) is adequate for me.

gqueller said:
I hope Pentair sees the light on this and invests deeply in the iPhone / iPad control capability across the whole line (including easy touch). Whatever shift mix they lose from folks buying control pads and ET vs. IT will be more than made up for share they take from Jandy & Hayward.

I just made a > $5K purchase decision based on the fact that Pentair has better control options, specifically the iPhone app. I would have gone Jandy instead, I had the other dealer all lined up.

I'd go so far as to say they missed by not including an ethernet port on the new equipment modules. Make it easy for people to love your products, not hard.

If pentair doesn't invest here, I'm sure on of their competitors will.

It's definitely a good market opportunity, the idea is becoming more and more comfortable for consumers as smart appliances, internet connected home security, other systems are bringing this idea closer to the surface, customers will start asking why not and Pentair is the furthest along and with the very small incremental update from Pentair if I were Jandy I would jump on this opportunity to introduce a more "connected" solution.

Has anyone been able to confirm that the iPhone app and protocol adapter work with the Easytouch? I've heard a few people say "it works" but I want to hear "I've used it myself, and it works" before I plunk down the $450...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Pentair MobileTouch Wireless Control Panel does that mean that I also have a ScreenLogic adapter inside of my intellitouch panel? If I want to access my intellitouch with and iPhone will I have to buy the ScreenLogic iTC15 Interface Kit?

Hi cadillac...so has Pentair released the version that works with the EasyTouch panel??? Although I guess there is no rush, since I am about to close the pool for the season.

I just found this post about Iphone and Easy touch.
I purchase my Easytouch with SWG pannel in September, also bought wireless controller and just ordered ScreenLogic2 adapter.
No equipment connected yet( a couple weeks away) but I connected power to the pannel, wired wireless remote communication box and connected ScreenLogic2 adapter.
Just powered the pannel and was able to connect from Iphone app to it. Not much controls as I can see but gives a convinience and 'cool' feel of being able to connect Iphone to the pannel.
I can post some pictures if anybody interested.
As far as wireless remote I bought it to have a didicated remote in the pool area, so kids can switch lights without the need of the Iphone/Ipad be present.(salt water will not do much good to electronics).

mhosborn said:
Slavka, pics of the interface would be appreciated. Our pool's still being built, and this is something I'm looking at upgrading to in a year or two.

My panel is inside the house. The ScreenLogic2 is mounted on top of the panel on the left and the antena for wireless is on the right.
I ran wire (4wire cable) from antena to ScreenLogic2 to J20 data port

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 54

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.