Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easy Touch temperature sensor

1. Back To Top    #1

Easy Touch temperature sensor

Not sure if this is the right forum, but...
    The pool temp reading on my EasyTouch 4 is 150 degrees F. Where would the pool water sensor be, and why would it be reading so high? The heater is not on, and the water is cold. Any ideas? Thanks
    Houston, TX
    16,500 gallon, 31x14 with raised spa, Pentair Quad DE filter, IG, pebblesheen, 2 hp sta-rite max e pro
    rainbow chlorinator, pcc2000 cleaning and circulation system with 1 hp sta-rite pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easy Touch temperature sensor

The water temp sensor is usually on the pipe going out of the heater before it goes back to the pool. You should be able to trace the wire coming out of the bottom of the easytouch box to the sensor.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

the sensor is going bad and needs replaced.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

4. Back To Top    #4

No, the water sensor is normally placed on the pipe between the pump and filter.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    No, the water sensor is normally placed on the pipe between the pump and filter.

Scott
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

We just installed our pool in Jan with an Easy Touch system and the instructions recommended placing the water temp sensor on the pipe between the pump and filter. This gives a temp on the water returning from the pool. Look for a small (about1" in size) relatively flat black plastic object heled against the pipe with a hose clamp. There will be small gauge black wire coming from your sensor back to your Easy Touch box. A hole (roughly 1/4") is drilled into your pipe and the sensor is inserted so that it makes contact with the water. If you determine that you need to change the sensor, it is pretty easy to do. The Easy Touch installation manual diagrams it well. If you don't have that manual, you can download the pdf file from the Pentair site. Also, I'd suggest you call Pentair tech support for guidance. During installation of our system, we made multiple calls to Pentair tech support and were pleasantly surprised with the great tech support we received. Hope this helps.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

7. Back To Top    #7

I also have a Pentair Easy Touch with a bad water sensor. Error code comes on the panel and the temp reads 4*F. Should be about 50*F right now.
    I come up with part # 520272 formerly TS5T.
    I have red and black wires.
    A friend has an exact same looking sensor except with red and green wires. Not sure what system it came off but it was Pentair.
    The temp reads 90*F when hooked up.
    I know, get the right part but why would the reading be so far off?

8. Back To Top    #8

My Easytouch water sensor went bad after about six months of operation. It was under warranty and Pentair had someone come and replace it free of charge. Actually very good customer service.

When it went bad it registered way high as well.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

The sensor with the red and green is probably part TS5L from a compool. They don't work with the easytouch as you can see. You need 520272.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks.
    Leslie pools is getting me one today. Cheaper on ebay but i want to make sure I get the right one. $65. Oh well, at least it'll be fixed today.