San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I just replaced a 12 year old Speck 2 speed 1 1/2 hp pump with a Whisperflow 2 speed 2 hp pump, and it seems the Speck pump was better. Here are my observations since the pump replacement:
1. Priming takes a lot longer.
2. Filter pressure with new, clean 100 sq ft cartridge filter is now about 2 psi, with Speck pump it was about 8 psi
3. Water movement around the pool seem to be dimished.
4. Pump loses prime afer being off for a while.

I replaced the Speck pump because it was stating to make noise, and I was hoping for something more efficient. All of my observations are based on the Speck pump in it's deteriorated condition, it was still performing well.

Do I need to get the pool guy out here? What does he need to check for? Can I assume my system had no leaks proir to pump replacement, and any leaks are a result of the work I had done?

Thanks in advance for your help.
DerrikMo

The part that bothers me the most is that the new pump loses prime. I suspect that's the whole reason for all your problems. It's probably sucking in air and not pumping what it should. Fix the leak and I bet you fix the rest of the problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.