Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump not running as well as old pump

1. Back To Top    #1

San Antonio, TX

New pump not running as well as old pump

I just replaced a 12 year old Speck 2 speed 1 1/2 hp pump with a Whisperflow 2 speed 2 hp pump, and it seems the Speck pump was better. Here are my observations since the pump replacement:
    1. Priming takes a lot longer.
    2. Filter pressure with new, clean 100 sq ft cartridge filter is now about 2 psi, with Speck pump it was about 8 psi
    3. Water movement around the pool seem to be dimished.
    4. Pump loses prime afer being off for a while.

I replaced the Speck pump because it was stating to make noise, and I was hoping for something more efficient. All of my observations are based on the Speck pump in it's deteriorated condition, it was still performing well.

Do I need to get the pool guy out here? What does he need to check for? Can I assume my system had no leaks proir to pump replacement, and any leaks are a result of the work I had done?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    10K Plaster Pool
    Haywood Cartridge Filter
    2 Speed 3/4 HP Pump
    Spillover Spa
    Using BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: New pump not running as well as old pump

The part that bothers me the most is that the new pump loses prime. I suspect that's the whole reason for all your problems. It's probably sucking in air and not pumping what it should. Fix the leak and I bet you fix the rest of the problems.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit