Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to begin....

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to begin....

We got hit with a surprise hurricane this morning, and I think I took 15 oak trees out of my pool this afternoon. Other than cleaning, chlorinating and vacuuming, is there anything else I should do? I am not sure when I can run the pump, since we may not have power until Sunday or tuesday.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2
    Chlorine and whatever circulation you can manage will both help. You really need to mix in any chlorine you add as well as you can manage. Try stiring things up with a clean broom or a rake if there isn't any power. Or run a small pump (perhaps a cover pump) off a generator, whatever you can manage. You don't need anything near the flow the regular pump provides, just something to mix in the chlorine a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sorry to hear about the pool, but glad you survived.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

4. Back To Top    #4
    I feel for you Ed. We've been hearing lots of reports (I'm in Katy) of bad damage in the High Island, Port Arthur, Beaumont areas. Glad to know you're OK. It's pretty bad when you only get about 12 hrs notice that a hurricane is coming right at you.

Thoughts and prayers with you, your family and neighbors.

Dave
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5
    We were told until ladnfall it was a tropical storm. No warning at all really.
    We are in the Port Arthur/sabine pass area.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so