Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dichlor to Raise CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dichlor to Raise CYA?

I will soon be into my 3rd season with my new pool and have used the BBB method from the beginning. Up until now, I have only used my SWG and bleach for chlorinating and used 100% CYA granules for adding stabilizer. I'm ssuming that I will need to raise my CYA level after I open this spring due to vacuuming to waste. What are your thoughts on using dichlor to raise the FC to shock level and gaining the benefit of some "free" CYA? Or, is it better to continue using just bleach and 100% CYA granules?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dichlor to Raise CYA?

It's an excellent idea. That's what I generally do.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks John. Are there any undesirable side effects of using dichlor?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

4. Back To Top    #4

I do the same thing with no issues. Just watch the CYA levels. For every 10 ppm FC you add using dichlor, you add 9 ppm CYA. So just keep track of it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I also do the same. The only side effect I find is my ph falls quickly(daily)You will need to keep a eye on the ph if you are set up for bleach.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa