Testing the salt level?

tim1

Apr 26, 2010
Last year was my first using salt in my pool. Everything worked and looked great, thanks to all over your helpful comments. I am starting my pool opening today, the cover is removed and the water is crystal clear. I am trying to find out how to: Test the salt level in the water so I can determine how much I need to add to ensure another clear water pool. I have an above ground 21 X 4 pool. I hope I have given everything needed to help me restart and check my salt levels.

I have an AquaChek 7 test strip kit. When I test the water is it the Total Chlorine that tells me if my salt is to low or high? I want to start things running today with hopes of another crystal clear pool for the summer.

tim1 said:
I have an AquaChek 7 test strip kit. When I test the water is it the Total Chlorine that tells me if my salt is to low or high?

No, you measure the salt directly with the salt test strips.

Strips for testing your chem levels like pH, alk, CYA, FC , CH,and TC are unreliable.

Salt specicif test strips for salt are OK as precision better than what they provide is not needed.

Get a TF-100 of Taylor K-2006 so you KNOW what the chem levels are.

Scott

The AquaChek 7 strips do not measure the salt level. You need to AquaChek Salt test strips to measure the salt level.

Could you tell us more about what you are trying to do? You normally only need to measure the salt level if you have a SWG (salt water chlorine generator).

Also, it would be handy if you can tell us what all of your levels are from the AquaChek 7 test strips, as well as some basic info about your pool. That will allow us to give you much more specific advice.

I am trying to restart my pool after the winter shutdown. I have a TF 100 test kit, 21 X 4 pool with a Hayward DE filter system installed and a SWG. I have not tested my water yet, just removed the cover and intend to refill and start running my filter system for the summer. I would like to know what name and type of test kit to purchase so I can get the salt level back to the proper level so I can enjoy a clean clear pool againthis year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.