Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and Solar Heater Question

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and Solar Heater Question

I am currently in the process of having my pool resurfaced, and I am planning to install a SWG and solar panels in my backyard. I have seen some people having issues with their SWG destroying their heaters, I am wondering if this will happen to my solar panels if I use a SWG that I will install the same time as my solar panels.
    In-Ground Fiberglass 3,500 gallon pool
    Jacuzzi CFR Cartridge Filter
    1.0 HP A.O. Smith Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

SWG and Solar Heater Question

I am currently in the process of having my pool resurfaced, and I am planning to install a SWG and solar panels in my backyard. I have seen some people having issues with their SWG destroying their heaters, I am wondering if this will happen to my solar panels if I use a SWG that I will install the same time as my solar panels.

Topics merged. Please don't ask the same question in more than one place. JasonLion
    In-Ground Fiberglass 3,500 gallon pool
    Jacuzzi CFR Cartridge Filter
    1.0 HP A.O. Smith Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG and Solar Heater Question

The cell must be the last thing in line before going to the returns. Those that had problems were due to installation before the heat source.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

The issue with the heaters and salt was also with earlier copper heat exchangers.
    Newer heaters have Culpro-nickel or Titanium heat exchangers and are much more resistant to salt and poor water chemistry than early models.

Solar panels don't use metal heat exchangers so there is no problem with Salt systems and Solar heating.

Enjoy your new pool upgrades
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is very unusual for a SWG to cause any problems for a heater. That would normally only happen if the SWG was installed incorrectly.

There are no issues between a SWG and solar panels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Even a straight copper heat exchanger will not have problems with the salt levels used by most SWGs. Copper starts having problems well above 6000 ppm of salt, while most SWGs these days use levels around 3000.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School