First Test Results!!

partypond

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Frisco, Texas
The new pool is full, pump is running, cleaner is on, time to play chemist!! I added the 3" pucks to the feeder for now so that at least the pol is getting some chlorine until I can get to the store on Saturday. I really like the TFP test kit and the spinner thing!!

Here are the results...

FC >.5
TA 110
ph 7.5
CH 600??? Does not seem right - will try again ??
CYA 30

I will get the 120 oz bleach (6% - 14,500 glls) as per the pool calculator but is there anything else I need to focus on immediately?? I will be rereading pool school on Saturday but want to make sure I am on the right track.

THANKS!! :party:

Your FC level is a little low, but it sounds like you known that already. :) Hopefully you CH level isn't that high, but on the assumption that CH really is 600 you should keep the PH fairly low. You should keep PH below 7.6 until you confirm that CH is actually lower than 600.

partypond said:
The new pool is full, pump is running, cleaner is on, time to play chemist!! I added the 3" pucks to the feeder for now so that at least the pol is getting some chlorine until I can get to the store on Saturday. I really like the TFP test kit and the spinner thing!!

Here are the results...

FC >.5
TA 110
ph 7.5
CH 600??? Does not seem right - will try again ??
CYA 30

I will get the 120 oz bleach (6% - 14,500 glls) as per the pool calculator but is there anything else I need to focus on immediately?? I will be rereading pool school on Saturday but want to make sure I am on the right track.

THANKS!! :party:
If the calcium sample would not turn blue, you might have metal ion interference. Add 5 to 10 drops of reagent R-0012 first and then do the test as normal.

Go here and choose:

General Test Interferences:
Calcium Hardness Test [updated 3/10/10]

to see how to do the test. Also, test the water for copper and iron.

If you've got a TFP test kit and pool school - you're on the right track!

I've tested my fill water CH as high as 450 (california)- so it's possible, though sad. Test your fill water separate from whats already in the pool - perhaps plaster dust in the pool is skewing the result.

If it is your fill water - you'll watch your CH creep up all summer as you top off your pool. It's possible to manage - get the TA lower and keep the ph on the low side. If it were me with brand new plaster and really aggressive fill water I'd consider R/O treatment to get the CH down. Much better to let it creep up from 200 than 600.

Great looking pool by the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.