I've done the research (mostly on this great forum) and I am purchasing a new pool pump, and could really use some "this is what I would do" type of advice.
My 3 options are currently:
1) Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS
2) Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050
3) Hayward EcoStar
Some of my factors include:
1) I currently use a mechanical (on/off pins) type of timer - which I'm fine staying with.
2) My electric company will rebate me $200 on #1 and #3 above. And will only rebate me on #2 if I have a "qualifying" controller (Intellitouch, EasyTouch, etc.)
3) The SVRS feature is not a deciding factor for me
4) I have no problem changing pump speeds manually, but I definetly want my Start/Stop to be automatic - and maybe even twice a day.
5) I am drawn to these pumps primarily because of the anticipated power savings I've been reading about. And it looks they're all about the same in effiency.
#1 is substantially more expensive than #2 and #3 - however I'm told it has a built-in timer (and many other features), and it rebate qualifies. I'm looking at probably $1500 installed. A little steep for me. I do fear that more bells and whistles (and I don't need them all) could mean more maintenance issues down the line.
#2 is not rebate qualified (I don't have a system controller - and its not something i need right now). $1100 installed. Leslie's has told me that my mechanical timer may not work with this pump, yet others have told me that it will. I've also read on this forum that some have had power issues when hooking up a standard timer to this pump. Any thoughts on that?
#3 is rebate qualified. $1100-1200 installed. It also has a built in timer and many of the same features as #1 (from what I can tell). Best value it seems, but I hesitate with this one for a few reasons. 1) Virtually no customer reviews. 2) It's a Hayward. My 2HP Whisperflo has been an absolute tank, and I'd really like to stick with that brand if possible. I had a Hayward Vacuum that crapped out on me quickly, while my $300 Kreepy has lasted me 6 years and still going strong. 3) Its a much larger footprint than the Pentairs (maybe not much of a factor as I'm pretty sure I've got the space).
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. This forum has been so helpful already! I am looking at making a decision within a week.
Hopefully my pool configs are showing up in the signature. I'm new to the forum.