Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed Pump impact on SWG...

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed Pump impact on SWG...

Just installed a new Pentair Intelliflo VF and I have a question. My old 2 HP single speed pump ran 8 hours a day. The new variable speed will be running 12 to 14 hours a day. Am I correct in that I will now be generating 50% more chlorine that previously?
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable Speed Pump impact on SWG...

not familiar with your Aquarite but in an IntelliChlor system you can set the percent-of-time the system runs.

my IntelliFlow VF and IntelliChlor IC40 setup uses a specific Macromatic relay (sigline to link) that monitors the power curve of the VF and intelligently turns on or off the IntelliChlor transformer (which powers the IC40 cell). Thus, when I run cycles of power use above ~150 watts (@ 1200-1400 RPM), the IntelliChlor is powered on but any cycles below that of any runtime duration result in the IntelliChlor being turned off.

Macromatic relay cost under 90.00 and they make a relay for just about any application one can imagine.

I did not want to have another Pentair automation controller as it would have been overkill for me.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by johnd13
    Just installed a new Pentair Intelliflo VF and I have a question. My old 2 HP single speed pump ran 8 hours a day. The new variable speed will be running 12 to 14 hours a day. Am I correct in that I will now be generating 50% more chlorine that previously?
    Yes you will be generating 50% more chlorine. Goldline units are time based settings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a good starting point:
    If you previously had your output % set to 60 with 8 hour run time, then lower it to 40% with the 12 hour run time.
    Test the chlorine level every few days for a week or so and adjust the output % up or down as needed.

Test the chlorine level regularly as you may need to make additional adjustments as temperatures increase.
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all!!
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.