Variable Speed Pump impact on SWG...

johnd13

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2009
Just installed a new Pentair Intelliflo VF and I have a question. My old 2 HP single speed pump ran 8 hours a day. The new variable speed will be running 12 to 14 hours a day. Am I correct in that I will now be generating 50% more chlorine that previously?

not familiar with your Aquarite but in an IntelliChlor system you can set the percent-of-time the system runs.

my IntelliFlow VF and IntelliChlor IC40 setup uses a specific Macromatic relay (sigline to link) that monitors the power curve of the VF and intelligently turns on or off the IntelliChlor transformer (which powers the IC40 cell). Thus, when I run cycles of power use above ~150 watts (@ 1200-1400 RPM), the IntelliChlor is powered on but any cycles below that of any runtime duration result in the IntelliChlor being turned off.

Macromatic relay cost under 90.00 and they make a relay for just about any application one can imagine.

I did not want to have another Pentair automation controller as it would have been overkill for me.

johnd13 said:
Just installed a new Pentair Intelliflo VF and I have a question. My old 2 HP single speed pump ran 8 hours a day. The new variable speed will be running 12 to 14 hours a day. Am I correct in that I will now be generating 50% more chlorine that previously?

Yes you will be generating 50% more chlorine. Goldline units are time based settings.

Here is a good starting point:
If you previously had your output % set to 60 with 8 hour run time, then lower it to 40% with the 12 hour run time.
Test the chlorine level every few days for a week or so and adjust the output % up or down as needed.

Test the chlorine level regularly as you may need to make additional adjustments as temperatures increase. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.