Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready to purchase inground pool which filter is best De/Sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to purchase inground pool which filter is best De/Sand

We are getting ready to sign contract for our inground pool. Before I sign the contract with all the specs. I am open for suggestions on regrets made by previous pool owners. What would you have done different? Or what is something you absolutely love about your pool. Also, our pool guy is suggesting a sand filter, but I have heard that a DE filter would be better. Our pool size is 14x26 rectangle with the deepest end being 6ft. We no absolutely nothing about inground pools so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready to purchase inground pool which filter is best De/

The choice between sand, DE, and cartridge filters is really a personal choice. There isn't any clear favorite that works for everyone. They all work well, and they all have minor issues that can cause problems for some people. There is a good article in Pool School about this, see the Pool School button near the top right of every page.

Also, you will get much more helpful/specific feedback if you tell us a bit more about your situation: area of the country, price range generally high or low, anything you want to see in your design, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

As Jason said, it's a personal choice. I'm partial to cartridge filters myself.

Here's the link to the artricle comparing the different types of filters.

pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

DE all the way..

5. Back To Top    #5

momsandy, you may want to look at my thread here: frost-heave-thoughts-please-t28747.html

I think the most important thing is to nail down the costs if they overrun, i.e. if they tell you they're pouring 450 sq ft of deck in concrete, believe me when I say this, it will always be over 450 sq ft and then they'll have you when they say it's $9 sq ft to go over that amount. Put those details in the contract. Also modify the payment schedule so there is a substantial amount at the end ($5-10K) so they are motivated to complete your pool. Go through my website (outside link in that thread) for the pool construction to see what I went through. I created that both for my documentation and for people like you to learn the hard lessons I learned by not doing enough homework myself.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Insufficient Data.

You'd have as much luck getting consensus if you asked what kind of car to buy.

It depends on your situation. Are you surrounded by farmland with lots of dust? Is the yard full of trees? Will dogs be swimming in the pool?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Where are you located? DE offers the best filtration so if you are in a dusty/pollen prone area, you may want to go that route.

I like my Cart
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a DE filter and it works fantastic. But if I were building from scratch or buying new equipment for any reason I would go cartridge and not look back. I think you will be happy no matter what type filter you buy because they all work. To me the cartridge filters seem to be the most modern, combining the best characteristics of the other two. JMO
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a link to articles that I found useful regarding the 3 types of filtration when I was doing some research a couple of years back. http://www.poolcenter.com/filter.htm
    We went with D.E. and have been happy so far. I don't have experience with any other filter type so would be loathe to make a recommendation.
    32.6K Gallon 16x41x24 L-Shape Vinyl Inground by Fort Wayne Pools
    DE Filter, 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 Btu Propane Heater, Pentair IC40 SWG
    One Wife - Three Kids - Two Dogs