Hayward H400idl - AO Code

Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys, I have been amazed with the knowledge here. I have typically been able to find answers by looking long enough but I am stumped. Rather than give you a long drawn out story, I will try to hit the sequence of events in bullet style.

October 2010
-Heater blower was struggling to provide enough speed to satisfy the vac. switch. The heater would light after purge cycle but wouldn't run long. Motor was very hot.
-Replaced blower
-Heater ran perfectly until February 2011
-Attempted to run heater while experiencing a cold front that put Houston temps into the 30s.
-Heater would light but would only run for 2-3 minutes before going into a cool down cycle.
-Once cool down was complete, the heater would immediately ignite and run again for 2-3 minutes.
-Placed controls in service mode (to rule out something wrong with temperature/thermister and call for heat)
-Heater still cycling short heat cycles
-Pulled panel door, tapped gas valve, pressure switch and some other general fumbling around.
-Heater ignited and ran for ~15 minutes.
-Control panel breaker providing service to heater tripped.
-Sub panel providing power to control panel breaker tripped.
-Re-set breakers and attempted restart - No Dice

-Pulled heater cover to check for burns or smoke Neither
-Checked resistance across blower leads ~130 Ohms (tech manual for the IDLII called for 8-9 ohms.)
-Replaced blower
-Installed new blower, again, no dice
-Checked pressure switch continuity while pumping water - fine
-Checked continuity to verify vac switch was verified open when heater gets call for heat

So, that is where I am, I am guessing that I am looking at an issue with the control module. I guess I will have to try to see if the blower is getting any power.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

Bloooze66 said:
Control panel breaker providing service to heater tripped.
-Sub panel providing power to control panel breaker tripped.
This part bothers me. To have two breakers trip simultaneously is usually bad news. Sounds like a catastrophic event. I suspect the control board failed and took a thing or two with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.