Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Security Camera

1. Back To Top    #1

Security Camera

This is my first post, I'm a new pool owner, well almost our pool is about 75% complete. I'm looking for a wireless security camera system for our pool area. I would like to have the ability to view the area over the Internet. I would prefer a wireless system simply to avoid running wires to the cameras. Does anyone have experience with a camera system or any suggestions.
    Thanks, Dana
    IG gunite/grey plaster
    15,000 gallons
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Security Camera

Welcome to TFP.

Even most wireless cameras require a power wire. If you've got to run power you might as well run video cable to a DVR. There are a few truly wireless cameras but the battery life is terrible and you're constantly changing batteries.

I would opt for a decent DVR/camera combo that will transmit over the internet and/or smartphone.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I don't know much about cameras, but I have a friend who does it for a living.. He is getting ready to do my house, he told my you want black and white cameras versus color for the fact you can see much better at night.. The cameras with night vision don't really work at night objects are hard to make out.. I was going to have mine run threw a computer he told me know you won't believe the memory it would need to run.. We are know going to have them on there on DVR with Internet and smart phone connectiblity...Hopefully this will help some..

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had a good experience using a SONY SNC RZ-50 camera over the pool. It has the web server built-in (no pc/hard drive failures/virus/blue screens to deal with) with motion sensing/unattended object alerts, wifi capabilities and is PTZ. It is viewable over internet by browser/phone.

It's a bit pricey but it's located in the roof eave over looking the pool two stories up. I didn't want to go with a cheapy since it had to take rain and sun/heat.

Haven't had to touch it for the last 3 years it's been up.

5. Back To Top    #5

You may want to consider the Logitech 750e. I installed one over my pool, no complaints.

Logitech 750e

Here's a couple reviews
    review1
    review2
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I've been looking at the Logitech cams myself. Looks like a pretty good DIY solution.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies, I looked at the Logitech but from what I read its only available on a PC and we are all Mac. I like the Mobotix but their cameras are very expensive. It also seems that I'm fast running out of money on this pool build because we keep adding to the project, so a $1000 camera is out. Does anyone have any experience with the Defender system from Sam's Club.
    IG gunite/grey plaster
    15,000 gallons
    SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

The defender is an ok home owner quality system. You want to pick the system with the highest resolution cameras they offer. There's a better
    system at Costco from Q-See. It's an 8 channel system with (4) 520 line cameras and a 1tb hard drive. Search for Q-see on their site. It's the QT528.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

My house system is from http://www.gadspot.com/ . Good "homeowner" quality and very good pricing. Far better than any pre-packaged kit from a box store. get a power supply that will run all the cameras and pull the wires....you will be WAY happier in the long run. Avoid wireless anything at all cost, in my opinion and experience.

10. Back To Top    #10

I use this Sharx Security camera (SCNC2606).
    http://www.securcam.com/xcart/product.p ... 1&featured

You can find lots of reviews on it on amazon. It is a nice wireless camera for the price. Lots of features. I currently use one to monitor my entryway. I'm in the process of getting a pool and plan to add one to monitor that as well.

Good luck on your camera search.
    3900 Gallon (18 x 8.5 x 5) Partially In Ground Fiberglass Pool -- 2" Schedule 40 PVC -- Hayward P4 Controller -- Goldline Aqua Rite Turbo Cell Salt Chlorinator -- Hayward 2 Speed Max Flo II 1 HP Pump -- Hayward SwimClear 225 sqft Cartridge Filter -- Hayward 250K BTU Natural Gas Heater -- Endless Pool Fastlane Swim Machine -- Cover Pools Manual Track & Reel Security Cover -- TF-100 Testkit