New Pool Owner With Leaky Pool?

wjones9589

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2011
Port St. Lucie, Florida
Hello All, I just bought a foreclosure home with a small 3,500 gallon fiberglass pool that was harshly neglected from not being used. I cleaned it up and my dad found a cheap temporary pump and filter that runs water through the pool. The problem is that the pool leaks pretty quick! When I fill the pool up and the system has pressure in the pipes but it isn't running, the pool will loose water to below the skimmer, and when the pool is running it will go past the skimmer really really quick (About 3 hours). The thing that confuses me is when I fill the pool up but I open the pump to expose the basket and the system is unpressurised, I loose no water? My dad's friend resurfaces pools and he told me he would have to replace the skimmer for about $900? I don't mind paying the money I just wanted some info if anybody thinks it's something besides the skimmer? Thanks!

If it was the skimmer I think it would leak all the time and might leak less when the pump is running. According to your description of the leak, it leaks a lot worse when the pump is running. If that's the case it's most likely a leak on the pump discharge side. Tell us a little more about the equipment you have and how it's plumbed. Pics would be nice.

A common place for it to leak is the waste port of the multiport valve and if it's hard plumbed, it's hard to see it leak.

And some more pictures.....I know you can't really see anything inside the pool but the previous owners patched up the spots where I'm guessing the light and main drain would normally go, and there is allot of patch work inside of the skimmer too (marine epoxy maybe?). And I think the pvc that is capped off on the ground by the pool pump would of been the main drain?

Attachments

• DSC02625.JPG
    DSC02625.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02630.JPG
    DSC02630.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02627.JPG
    DSC02627.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 63
A cartridge filter so no waste port to worry about. I still think your leak is on the return side of the pump. One way to tell is to seal up the return in the pool and remove the filter at the unions and run a temp hose from the pump discharge back to the pool and run the pump and see if it still leaks. If it doesn't, then you know the leak is in the return plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.