Wichita Falls, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have an 19 month old that loves the water. We are set to move in to our new house in about a week. I know supervision is the best prevention but I would like other safe guards as well. I will be putting an alarm on the door. I would like to avoid a fence or cover. What types of alarms work well and what are my other options. Price is really not an issue. Who knows I might end up building an iron fence...I have been wanting a new welder.

Thanks

Build pics in under construction

At 2 Years old our little girl could open every door in the house, even with the plastic handle locks. She uses her hobby horse stick to break them open.

I'm seriously thinking about swapping out all the dead bolts with double key locks (so a key is required to unlock the door from inside and outside).

I may also put one on her room :)

If you use that door frequently you will learn to ignore when the alarm goes off, especially when another adult is home. You don't need a system that alerts you when something happens, you need to prevent something from happening! All it takes is for you to go to the bathroom for your child to head out the door. Are you going to run through the house in mid-stream to make sure he hasn't headed for the pool?

#1 Swim lessons/ I've seen kids under two learn to doggy paddle to the side where they can then hold on.

#2 Discipline. Safety in the pool and surrounding area is a must. Be strict here, with all kids.

#3 Fence the pool with a lock she can't reach. Deal with it. If the yard is already enclosed with a code compliant fence, use removable fencing. When the child out grows the fence, you can take it down permanently.

#4 Test their friends abilities in the pool.

#5 Arm floats don't pass muster. Proper fitting vests and strap on foam bubbles do. Get some in assorted sizes so her friends that can't pass the test can still enjoy themselves. If they whine, tell them "Then don't swim!" and mean it.

#6 Watch them. If you have to go to the bathroom and you're the only one able to watch them, bring them in the house too. Which would you rather have, a kid that can whine or a terrible accident?

Been There, Done That, It Works.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
#3 Fence the pool with a lock she can't reach. Deal with it. If the yard is already enclosed with a code compliant fence, use removable fencing. When the child out grows the fence, you can take it down permanently.

Look into the protect-a-child fence. Better safe than sorry and they are relatively cheap. I would NEVER consider not putting at least such a fence to restrict access to the pool in addition to a code compliant around the background. Sure, my pool looks much nicer when the fence is removed but that will happen in a few years. In the mean time, I don't want to end up with a dead child.

+1 to Scott's and mart's points :goodjob:

With children a fence is a must. Asthetics should be a secondary concern vs child saftey.

Door alarms may work may work for kids that are in the house, but eventually they will be playing in the yard and even your new neighbors kids may want to come over from time to time and say hi..."oh look, they have a pool" :shock:

Saftey covers can also work, but you can not forget to secure it when no one is using the pool.

Nightmare said:
I'm seriously thinking about swapping out all the dead bolts with double key locks (so a key is required to unlock the door from inside and outside).

Double cylinder (keyed both sides) deadbolts are illegal here (and maybe in other parts of the Country, since if the key is left out and there is a fire, you cannot escape). You can say that you'll keep the key in the lock at all times, but it only takes once to forget and have a tragedy. If a child can learn to turn the thumb-piece on a single cylinder lock, he/she can learn to turn the key on a double cylinder lock.

I agree that child safety is the number one priority around a swimming pool. However, I would hate to hear of anything tragic from someone not being able to get out of their own home in the case of an emergency.

Bruce I believe that is only the case if there is not a second means of exit available from that room. I've had them installed in my last house and that was discussed.

I second all of the above - fencing, high latch, swim lessons, supervision and consistency - yeah they can be a pain at times but consider the risk of what could happen? They're priceless.

simicrintz said:
Nightmare said:

Double cylinder (keyed both sides) deadbolts are illegal here (and maybe in other parts of the Country, since if the key is left out and there is a fire, you cannot escape). You can say that you'll keep the key in the lock at all times, but it only takes once to forget and have a tragedy. If a child can learn to turn the thumb-piece on a single cylinder lock, he/she can learn to turn the key on a double cylinder lock.

I agree that child safety is the number one priority around a swimming pool. However, I would hate to hear of anything tragic from someone not being able to get out of their own home in the case of an emergency.

As a home inspector, I would write up double-keyed deadbolts in a heartbeat, for that very reason. Doesn't matter how many egresses there are in a room, they just present a serious fire hazard.

We had the same concern when we moved here. Kids were 2 and 4 at the time, and had everyone (grandparents!) going nuts. I installed the hotel type bar deadbolt latches as high as I could put them. We have never had an issue.

Swimming lessons and respect for water and its potential dangers are a must. Kids are now 5 and 7, and while they are excellent swimmers now, they still know that they do not go outside without an adult present. Period.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are a few other options - although I agree with putting in a fence. I'd rather have an eyesore for a few years, than be without my kids forever. We fenced our pool and kept it that way for years - even after they learned how to swim. I took it down a few years ago, but now may have to put it up when my daughter and her family come visit (newborn).

The other option is called "Sonogaurd". One of our IPSSA members installs these - I personally don't know much about it.

Better safe than sorry. Although it has never happened to me, when I cleaned pools in Phoenix my boss showed up to a job to a floating child. I am all over one of my customers right now because he keeps waffling on a fence and his kid just started walking.

There are some things that you just can't fix.

A physical barrier around the pool is the only way to go if you have kids. Especially if you have a yard to enjoy. My son is 2.5 and has free roam of the back yard. Once the pool gate is closed (which is self closing and self latching) there is no possible way for him to get within 5 feet of the water.

I agree with what most people here are saying. There is NOTHING more important than a fence around the pool!
Supervision is obviously extremely important... But things happen. You can go to the bathroom for 3 minutes and it can be too late. It happens every single year.

It doesn't matter whether you like the look of a fenced in pool or not. It is an absolute MUST HAVE!!!

Get a removable mesh fence if you want. When you have people over and everyone is outside with the child or the child is asleep at night and you are outside, you can take them down and put them up pretty quickly. And they look pretty nice also!

I have one and I actually find when I have parties that people with kids want me to leave the fence up because they dont have to constantly be running behind their kids in the backyard. Even then you need to be super careful that the fence stays closed and no toddler can sneak in. Every year children drown even with supervision! Its a nightmare... You need to do everything possible to prevent any possibility from it happening. Alarms, locks, supervision, swimming lessons, but most importantly is a fence ;)

Sorry for the rant but this subject scares the Darn out of me!

One last comment (by me anyway!) on this: Nothing is more important than supervision. Eyes on the pool at all times. There is no barrier that a child cannot figure out how to open or get around/over, so the only safe pool is an observed pool.

Fences and other safety items can give a false sense of security. Please, do not allow any child out at an unsupervised pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.