Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Port St. Lucie, Florida

New Pool Owner

Hi all I'm new to owning a pool but I just purchased a foreclosure home with a nasty looking pool. My dad and I cleaned it up allot and he found a temporary pump and filter for it, the pump leaks a little bit but it does the job. My pool is small about 3,500 gallons and the pool pump I got is 1HP and the pool only has 1 return jet and the water comes out like a tsunami, I'm in the market for a new pump, filter, and saltwater generator....also thinking about adding on a solar heater in the future. Any recommendations on what type of pump I should buy?
    In-Ground Fiberglass 3,500 gallon pool
    Jacuzzi CFR Cartridge Filter
    1.0 HP A.O. Smith Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: New Pool Owner

Welcome to TFP!

A 3500 gallon pool can probably be filtered with a 1/2HP pump.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New Pool Owner

Could you tell us a bit more about the pool? Is it in ground or above ground? Does it have rigid plumbing or flexible hoses? It would also help to get some idea of what your rough budget is and what part of the country you live in.

As a general rule, you want a smaller pump and larger filter than a typical pool store will try to sell you. Larger pumps waste electricity. Meanwhile larger filters are more efficient and can go longer between cleanings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School