Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA Level Question

1. Back To Top    #1

TA Level Question

What does it mean when it says the ideal TA level is 70-90+? Does that mean any value over 90 is ok? I don't see that on any of the other values.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA Level Question

That means that the ideal level is anywhere between 70 & 90 ppm but if it goes a little above 90 it might be ok too. Ideal for you is where ever it needs to be to keep your pH from raising to rapidly or swinging wildly. I've seen people run it at 60 and be fine and also seen it at 110 and be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure you should read too much into the term "ideal". Ideal pH is 7.4 or so, but 7.8 or 7.2 is ok.

TA is one of those things though that can be in a larger range, IMO. If you have a SWCG, a lower TA may be indicated to keep the pH from rising too fast. If on the other hand you use trichlor, which is acidic, a higher TA would be better to keep the pH from falling too fast.
    As a general rule, a higher TA is indicated if your pool's pH tends to drop fairly often or fast, a lower TA if your pH tends to rise. Others can give you a more detailed explanation, but thats it in a simple nut shell with out all the rig-a-ma-ro chemistry that we can get bogged down in sometimes.

Edit: Bama typed faster than me
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Guys, thanks for the quick responses. There is a page on Pool School entitled recommended values. That's where i saw this.

You guys have helped me understand TA is really a buffer for PH. I had never made the connection before. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ncpool
    You guys have helped me understand TA is really a buffer for PH.
    Not only a buffer for pH, but a source of rising pH in its own right. I think that's probably what you meant since having TA as a pH buffer is what most people think about. However, they incorrectly assume that a higher TA would therefore provide more pH stability, but being a source of rising pH itself, due to carbon dioxide outgassing, a higher TA can make the pH less stable (i.e. rise faster).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"