Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sludge and maybe black algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Daytona Beach, FL 32117 USA

Sludge and maybe black algae

Well it has been and interesting winter down in FL. We had hi winds and below freezing nights. I turned the pump off during this period and now have black sludge in pool. I tried to manually vac it out of the pool; but would not come out. Here is my latest water test:

FC. .02
    PH 8.2
    TA 100
    CH 320
    CYA 0
    Temp 72
    Already have added 3 qt. MA to bring down PH. I am going to Leslie`s to see what they say. Do you guys have any input? Thanks purptiger
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Sludge and maybe black algae

Raise your chlorine, run your pump and don't listen to what Leslie's has to say. Scoop the sludge out with a pool leaf rake or net.

You should always run the pump if you have temps below freezing.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Sludge and maybe black algae

I'll add a few 2 cents....your CYA going to zero is a possible sign that you are going to have a very high chlorine demand - follow the process for shocking your pool (see link below)... raise your CYA to 30-50 until you complete the shock process with liquid chlorine - then once the FC is holding overnight you can resume using your SWG (and raise your CYA up to 60-80).

Shocking Your Pool
    Water Balance for SWCGs
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner