Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mineral Springs

1. Back To Top    #1

Mineral Springs

I am contemplating changing to the mineral springs system this year. One place tells not to use regular salt as it can damage filter, metal, liner, etc. Another place says it's ok. If I change, do I add the same amount of Beginings every year or just the first year. And the renew as needed? My pool is an inground, 24x44. Vinyl liner, approx. 40,000 gallons of water. Depth is 3.5 feet to 8 feet.
    Thanks
    24 x 44 inground pool
    Vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mineral Springs

Welcome to TFP.
    The best advice I can give you is to read Pool School and stay away from the mineral springs. There are better alternatives out there.
    Once you've read a good bit come back and we'll guide you along.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Mineral Springs is the exact same as Hayward's (actually Goldline's) systems and can be run without the HIGH expense of Bioguard's 'all in one pack' chemicals. Like Bama said, Pool School will help you and we're always here to clarify things or bounce questions off of.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the information. I will check out the pool school. Then I should probably stay away from the Bioguard salt water system and go for the Hayward Aqua Rite system. They have an optional sense and dispense system for adjusting the PH but from what I read, I should probably skip that piece of equipment.
    24 x 44 inground pool
    Vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by VinGovoni
    Thanks for the information. I will check out the pool school. Then I should probably stay away from the Bioguard salt water system and go for the Hayward Aqua Rite system. They have an optional sense and dispense system for adjusting the PH but from what I read, I should probably skip that piece of equipment.
    Don't get me wrong, they are the EXACT same system! You just do NOT need to use the expen$ive Bioguard products to have it perform correctly. (they're both manufactured by Goldline and the only difference is the label) If the Mineral Springs unit is less expensive than the Hayward, get it! - just don't use their 'packs' to dose the pool.

One of the best things about this site is that we will tell you how to maintain a pool for less money than a pool store would, using less expensive, but chemically equivalent, products.

However, you will need to educate yourself ( with Pool School and asking questions here) and get and use a good test kit (the link for TF Kits is in my sig) Compared to the money you would waste on the Mineral Springs packs, the cost of a good test kit and the expenditure of time is a GREAT deal

As always, it's your pool and your money - we're here to save you not only money and time, but to empower you to have a Trouble Free Pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I apologize, I should have clarified that it was the chemical side of mineral springs that I was talking about. Ted has done an excellent job of covering it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Ditto what has been said here - Mineral Springs is just a more expensive version of basic and readily available pool chemicals - packaged and marketed in a way to make you think its somehow better.... it's just more expensive
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to everyone who sent a note. I appreciate all the advice and will certainly study it well. Vinnie
    24 x 44 inground pool
    Vinyl liner

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a Mineral Springs unit - haven't used Bioguard products since I ran out of the renewal that the pool builder left... just treat it like any other swg, because that is what it is.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)