Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I could really use a bit of help with a new replaster

1. Back To Top    #1

I could really use a bit of help with a new replaster

First off great site ...I have been trying to read alot. I just finished filling my "new" pool Its about 15000 gallons. I had the Stonescapes pebble installed my Ph is around 8 and TA is at 50 no chlorine added yet. Whats the best way for me to bring the Ph down and TA up?? I tried the pool calulator. Just didnt make sense..(update..makes sense now was putting the numbers in the wrong fields) ... I need to play with it but for now I need a quick answer. Thanks for reading.
    15k Midnight Blue StoneScape Pebble inground pool and spa
    Pentair clean and clear plus 420 filter 2 Sta-rite 1 1/2 hp pump Raypack 406 heater. TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I could really use a bit of help with a new replaster

With all due respect.... the Pool Calculator output IS the quick answer.

Muratic (HCl) acid will bring pH down. Pool School is your best bet. great info there.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by learthur
    With all due respect.... the Pool Calculator output IS the quick answer.

Muratic (HCl) acid will bring pH down. Pool School is your best bet. great info there.
    Yeah thanks...I figured it out. On my way to buy baking soda....Should I mix it with water before pouring it in?
    Pentair clean and clear plus 420 filter 2 Sta-rite 1 1/2 hp pump Raypack 406 heater. TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I always mix all solid chems in water before I pour them in the pool. You could slowly pour it into the skimmer but it's easy to dissolve and pour in front of a return.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I always mix all solid chems in water before I pour them in the pool. You could slowly pour it into the skimmer but it's easy to dissolve and pour in front of a return.
    Thank Dave ...I will do that.

6. Back To Top    #6

One more question..My start up page from the PB wants me to use Jacks magic blue stuff. I cant buy it locally do I need it or is there something else I could use?

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a standard item in a lot of pool contracts. It's a CYA (Not cyanuric acid either ) item for places that may have metals, it keeps the metals in solution and keeps staining from happening. You need to check with the PB to see if that's a condition of warranty. If it's not, and you're absolutely sure you don't have metals in your fill water then you don't need it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I have been fighting the PH for the last week. had it 2 days ago at 7.4 yesterday it jumped back up to 8.0 todays reading is at 7.0 and TA is at 50. Man its not easy working on this yet !! Just ordered a TF test kit ..my Taylor is over 2 years old.

9. Back To Top    #9

New plaster causes the PH to rise like that.

It'll get better with time.

Also - if you are boosting your TA with Baking Soda it will contribute to that PH rise depending on the order of testing/chemical adds.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100