Hayward versus Jandy

doopie

Feb 11, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
We are in the process of bidding right now and we are down to three builders.

Builder H uses Hayward Tristar 2 speed pumps and cartridge filters we have had Hayward before and had
Builder J uses Jandy stealth pumps
Builder P uses Pentair

We like H' design and quality but are leery due to the price and then they use Hayward Tristar 2Spd pumps. He is willing to put Jandy in at additional cost but will only warranty Jandy for 1 year versus 3 for Hayward

Builder J uses Jandy and had a decent design although a little smaller but has good references and warranties the Jandy for 3 years

Builder P uses Pentair but is the most costly of all and not sure if I want to pay the premium for just the quality/name of a company since they all use subs to do the work.

I do not want to start a flame ware but what is the difference between Hayward and Jandy. Should I be requiring the builder use a different pump to save energy?

Thanks.

Okay doing more research......

Looking at Waterco website because they have the pre-filter I want to use to reduce my maintenance on cartrdige cleaning and noticed the hydrostar looks a lot like the older JAndy stealth pumps. Are the older Jandy Stealth pumps any good say from 2007 and before?

Raymond

Welcome to TFP!!

All 3 companies make good products, don't let that be the deciding factor. A 2 speed pump should save you $$ if you run it on low most of the time.

A 3 year warranty on the new equipment is a very good thing, as long as they honor the warranty and will make any repairs in a timely manner.

Can you tell us a little more about the proposed pool (rough size, water features, spa, etc)? The more we know about your pool, the better we can advise you :wink:

Go with either Jandy or Pentair equipment, Hayward is the worst equipment you can buy (imo)... If you have all Jandy or Pentair equipment installed you will get a full 3 year warranty thru both companys... When it comes to who is easier to get rhings warranted by Jandy by far is easier over Pentair..No know you asked about Jandy and Hayward but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents about Pentair just in case..

If it was my pool it would be Jandy equipment...

Posted via IPhone.

I like Pentair pumps, Hayward automation systems, and Jandy valves. Unfortunately, there are large advantages (ie longer warranty) if you buy everything all one brand.

Overall, I completely agree with waste, brand should not be a deciding factor. The builders reputation and references are by far the most important thing, followed closely by price. Equipment brand is a distant tenth, or lower, in importance.

I've had Hayward equipment for 5+ years without any trouble what so ever. Hayward has some of the most efficient pumps on the market and I would not hesitate to go with them again. Many "In the Industry" trash Hayward but don't always give a reasonable explanation as to why. Some have said it is because Hayward pumps are hard to work on which may be true although I didn't have too much trouble replacing the impeller and motor on mine. It could also be due to the fact that in some areas of the country they have a very large market share which means techs will be repairing more of them even though they may have the same failure rates as other manufactures.

Hayward has a big market share in New England. You see more Pentair SWCG and automation though. DE filters up here are few and far between. Most are Hayward sand or carts. You dont see many variable speed or 2 speed pumps either. Electric rates are pretty cheap and we only run the pool 5-6 months out of the year at most. The added cost of a VS doesnt make sense. IF i ever got a 2 speed or VS, I'd probably do a pentair, but for a single speed, Hayward is fine, in my limited opinion. As far as heaters go, most are Hayward. I looked into a Rheem since a lot of guys on here like them. I talked to my own pool guy plus 3 others and they all said the same thing. Dealing with Rheem for warrenty issues is a PITA, at least in NE. One guy said he would get me one, but dont ask him to deal with rheem service, they "stink" (he put it stronger than that)!
I guess it really boils down to market share in the area, what everyone else in a given area uses, and what individual guys like, really.

25K gallon pool freeform with stonescapes
2 Bubblers on tanning deck
Spa bench on pool with blower and 5 jets
2 fan misters
2 skimmers
4+ returns
weeping water wall around 24 feet
Jump rock from 3.5-8'
2 pumps
1st pump with bubblers,weeping water wall and misters
2nd pump alternating between main line and spa jet
Adding a waterco prefilter and a cartridge filter as big as I can get it
Robotic cleaner

I am leaning towards the 23K pool with same features because he is Jandy and 4K cheaper without all the overhead.

Debated on doing it all myself as well but just no time to manage this project with work and kids this time.

Thanks for your input.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the details doopie :goodjob:

A multiple speed pump ought serve you well. The misters, bubblers, etc. are handled by their own pump - so you can use the main pump on a low setting most of the time and kick it up when you want aggressive spa action or need to manually vacuum.

As for a couple of the other comments on this thread-

The warranty is from the manufacturer, but a local pool co. is the one doing/ assessing the work. If your PB is a 'certified warranty center' for your equipment, you're likely to get much better service and quicker results. (my former employer wasn't a service center, but was one of the largest buyers from our main distributor - so he could 'force' the distributor to 'force' the manufacturer to honor the warranties :wink: )

While I personally prefer Hayward, I didn't want my preferences to affect your decision and can't honestly recommend one brand over another. My preference stems from 20+ years of familiarity, the 4 companies I've worked for have all used primarily Hayward equipment. I like Mark's point that (to paraphrase) if 80% of the pumps in the area are Brand X, 80% of the repairs are going to be to brand X's pumps - it doesn't mean that they fail more often :hammer:

Finally (for now :) ) there are a lot more DE filters in New England then bk thinks, Connecticut is full of them as is New Hampshire and 1 of the 2 installers on Martha's Vineyard (in 1981) used only Hayward 'bump' De filters. Also, federal laws, soon (?) to be implemented in the 50 several states will require 2 speed pumps for motors over 1HP (as well as more efficient plumbing).

Have a nice night all :cheers:

A number of mostly off topic posts were moved to Chevy, Dodge, Hayward, Jandy, IECC musings. JasonLion

Doopie, Do you mind if I ask what PB you are looking at? I am North FW and would like to see who others are looking at. I love what Southwinds have done but sure they are very expensive. Heard good things about Klaprodt and Watercress as well. I am just now starting to explore and looks like you are getting a great price from everthing else I have seen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.