Best Valve for Pentair Quad DE Filter

My take: if you don't mind spending a little money get the rotary multi-port valve. A rotary multi-port comes in handy now and then, but isn't strictly essential. If you are trying to save money then plumb as for a cartridge without any valve at all. I don't see any point in going for the slider valve. Multi-ports have too many advantages, so either go straight to multi-port; or save as much $ as you possibly can and don't get a valve.

I spoke to two pool service guys when I replaced my filter (now have a quad DE) and they both said to avoid the rotary - they had done lots of calls fixing the spider gaskets but rarely had to service slide valves. My father in law has had the same slide valve for 15 years and never had to work on it. Cartridge filters are common and don't have either option so clearly those are nice to have features. For the extra features I didn't see it being worth the cost. Of course if I ever have to pull the filter or bypass the filter I may eat my words since thats easy with the rotary but at the risk of jinximg myself Im hoping that is never needed or not needed often enough to justify the added expense. I was also pretty space limited so that's a factor to consider too.

I wouldn't worry too much about spider gasket problems, just keep a spare on hand. On the other hand, after taking apart my multiport today to replace the o-rings on the valve stem, the design seems somewhat inefficient. If you are trying to reduce head on your system, it seems like eliminating the multiport would help. I like having a multiport, and I'm willing to trade a small amount of efficiency for the flexibility of a multiport.

A slider valve can't vacuum to waste, and it can't bypass the filter just to name two of the issues that come up around here regularly. Multi-port valves aren't exactly expensive either, $80 to $150, and well worth it.

When I have looked at the multi's for this filter it seems like I get two different ones that would work with one being a hi-flo and one not. Part numbers are 261055 and 261050.

Am I reading this right in that both will work but the hi-flo would obviously be the better one to use?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The hi-flow version is most important when you have a large pump and are going to run at relatively high flow rates. With a smaller pump, 3/4 HP or 1 HP, the hi-flow version still helps but the difference is so small that it isn't always worth spending extra for.

What seems weird is that the hi-flo doesn't seem that much more and even more weird is that on a couple of sites it is even cheaper than the standard. If I don't have to spend much more then I should get it right?

What is the part # for the high flo if that is what I should get so I make sure to get it?

Thanks

The best advice and take it from a 35 yr pool pro "me" is Don't use the quad! they jam up and do not backwash period! we are removing all installed units and replacing with Fns plus (vert grid) they will at least backwash 80 to 90 percent. The concept is flawed there is no way a cartridge with so many pleates will backwash we have videoed this entire event so save yourself the pain.

poolman7, I'm curious to see your videos. I've heard from so many people who love their quads that I have lost count, while I can't remember a single person who has ever had a significant problem. That is not to say that they are perfect. The cartridges do need to be replaced occasionally. But then the same is true of the grids in other DE filter designs. It is true that most people prefer to rinse off the cartridges in the quad rather than backwash. That is a nice option you get with the quads, something that other DE filters can't match.

Welcome to TFP!!

GREAT reply Jason :goodjob:

I've worked on a few of these and found them to be roughly equivalent to the grid filters, in terms of backwashing 'completeness' (we still break them down and thoroughly rinse them once a year) [maybe the ones he's seen have :shock: 'push/ pull' valves :pukel: :mrgreen: ]

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

GREAT reply Jason :goodjob:

I've worked on a few of these and found them to be roughly equivalent to the grid filters, in terms of backwashing 'completeness' (we still break them down and thoroughly rinse them once a year) [maybe the ones he's seen have :shock: 'push/ pull' valves :pukel: :mrgreen: ]

Good one waste :roll: :wink:

There are high flow and non high flow valves for both styles IIRC. I can see an argument for a low flow valve affecting the back flush. The pentair web site and manual both reference needing a high flow valve to keep the filter in their eco select ratings.

I still stand by my for a slide valve :whip: :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.