Pump Advice - Pool/Waterfeature

Feb 8, 2010
I have been a lurker for sometime. I am currently in the middle of a OB/DIY build. I am indebted to this forum and another forum for the learned knowledge to build a pool. I am at the point that I will need to purchase a pump(s) and would like some advice.

All plumbing is 2" except Polaris. Main drain and 2 skimmers each home run to pad. 6-7 returns split into 2 home runs. No spa. Water feature is 2 fountains with spillover into pool and 1 bubbler in sunshelf. For water feature I plumbed wall drains to pad with 1 run to fountain and 1 run to bubbler.

Option 1: (1) VS3050 used for pool and water feature with valving (could add extra pump later)

Option 2: (1) VS3050 for pool, 1hp single speed for water feature

Option 3: (1) 2 speed for pool, VS for water feature

I am in Texas so electricity is about .11/kwh

Question: Opinions? Comment?

Sorry for the long post. And thanks in advance.

I would go with option 1, a single VS3050 and a Pentair automation system. Using a same brand automation system will allow you to program flow rates for each mode and to switch between modes very easily. You will also be able to tune the flow rates to get exactly the amount of fountain action you want. The caveat is that this only works if the total flow required by the fountain isn't too large. For very high fountain/spillover flow rates it is better to have a separate pump that does not go through the filter. Generally you only see those "too large" flow rates with waterfalls or a negative edge, most fountains will be fine.

If you do go with two pumps, I would suggest option 3. There is no point in getting a VS3050 just for the pool when your electric rates are that low. Meanwhile, being able to dial in the ideal flow rate for the fountain is still very handy. One advantage of option 3 is that you wouldn't really need an automation system, manual controls will be good enough (though automation is better).

Thanks for the advice.

Option 1 was my original intent and I puposely paid a little extra in materials and time to plumb the extra wall drains in case I had to add another pump. I should also save on electricity during the winter when the freeze protection is on without the second pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.