First 'real' test of the year

May 23, 2009
Enterprise, AL
We leave our pool open during the winter down here and run the pump when we have a cold snap and to circulate some overnight (minimal). Love the variable speed pump, btw! :cool: The SW chlorine generator doesn't work when the water gets below ~57 deg, so I dosed pool with bleach once this winter, I think. I run our Polaris once a week, on average, to suck up the leaves. I really don't feel like I put much effort into it over the winter. Just ran the complete test battery this afternoon (son is starting to get anxious to get in).

Temp: 64
FC: 2.5
CC: 0
TC: 2.5
ph: 7.5
TA: 60
CYA: Not tested (solar cover is on to help warm the water)
CH: Not tested (vinyl liner)
Borates: 30
Salt: 2700

All in all, I'm very happy with how it fared this winter!
Added some salt, some bleach, a little borax (need more), acid to counter ph rise due to the borax, and a little baking soda to bring the TA up a bit. Need to head to the store for supplies (NOT the pool store, tho :-D )

Looks good! I would recommend going ahead and running a CYA test. Unless you know your CYA value, you really can't tell how much FC is enough.

I wouldn't bother with the borax and acid, they will net each other out for the most part. PH of 7.5 is perfect. TA at 60 is fine too, unless you find your PH dropping too much.

@dmanb2b Yep, I like to have borates in my pool, so I'll be upping the level until I reach 50 ppm. (whenever I get the borax....) I'm thinking I'll let the TA stay put for now, also. Thanks!

@257WbyMag You're right! Just ran the CYA today and it's at 60. VERY happy the level stayed up this winter. Not sure where that stuff goes when it gets cold...

Today's numbers:
Temp 66
FC 3.5
CC 0
TC 3.5
ph 7.8 (need to get more MA)
TA 60
CH 130 (got curious and wanted COMPLETE numbers)
CYA 60
Salt 3600

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.