Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First 'real' test of the year

1. Back To Top    #1

First 'real' test of the year

We leave our pool open during the winter down here and run the pump when we have a cold snap and to circulate some overnight (minimal). Love the variable speed pump, btw! The SW chlorine generator doesn't work when the water gets below ~57 deg, so I dosed pool with bleach once this winter, I think. I run our Polaris once a week, on average, to suck up the leaves. I really don't feel like I put much effort into it over the winter. Just ran the complete test battery this afternoon (son is starting to get anxious to get in).

Temp: 64
    FC: 2.5
    CC: 0
    TC: 2.5
    ph: 7.5
    TA: 60
    CYA: Not tested (solar cover is on to help warm the water)
    CH: Not tested (vinyl liner)
    Borates: 30
    Salt: 2700

All in all, I'm very happy with how it fared this winter!
    Added some salt, some bleach, a little borax (need more), acid to counter ph rise due to the borax, and a little baking soda to bring the TA up a bit. Need to head to the store for supplies (NOT the pool store, tho )
    20K gal IG vinyl 18'x36' rectangle, 2' radius corners
    Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite 40K SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS 3050,
    Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo 24" Sand filter, Model T-240BP-1, Polaris 280 Auto Cleaner
    Sunstar solar panels (438 sq ft ), Pentair Sun Touch Controller automating solar panels, SWG, and Polaris
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First 'real' test of the year

Looks good! I would recommend going ahead and running a CYA test. Unless you know your CYA value, you really can't tell how much FC is enough.

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't bother with the borax and acid, they will net each other out for the most part. PH of 7.5 is perfect. TA at 60 is fine too, unless you find your PH dropping too much.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

oops...never mind, you are trying to get your borate level up to 50ppm I guess? Sorry.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

@dmanb2b Yep, I like to have borates in my pool, so I'll be upping the level until I reach 50 ppm. (whenever I get the borax....) I'm thinking I'll let the TA stay put for now, also. Thanks!

@257WbyMag You're right! Just ran the CYA today and it's at 60. VERY happy the level stayed up this winter. Not sure where that stuff goes when it gets cold...

Today's numbers:
    Temp 66
    FC 3.5
    CC 0
    TC 3.5
    ph 7.8 (need to get more MA)
    TA 60
    CH 130 (got curious and wanted COMPLETE numbers)
    CYA 60
    Salt 3600
    20K gal IG vinyl 18'x36' rectangle, 2' radius corners
    Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite 40K SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS 3050,
    Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo 24" Sand filter, Model T-240BP-1, Polaris 280 Auto Cleaner
    Sunstar solar panels (438 sq ft ), Pentair Sun Touch Controller automating solar panels, SWG, and Polaris
    TF-100 test kit