Another DIY Build

Feb 21, 2011
New to the site, great information here. I am finishing up the dig and am needing some help with the plumbing layout. The plumbing will all be behind the walls and not ran through the pool FYI. My question is are the Skimmers and pool returns in a good location, and to make equal pressure for the deck jets and pool returns should I do a loop system like I have shown. All plumbing will be with Rigid 2'' PVC.

I am sure this has been discussed before but there are way to many links on here to go through.

After I iron this out I will need some help on the best way to tie this all together at the pad. Thanks in advance for all the input that I hopefully will receive.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,241
Another thing is I figure the total gallons is around 37000. The pool is 44x32. Shallow end is 20Wx32Lx3.5D and the deep end is 24Lx20Wx6 deep average with slope.

My question is do I have enough returns for the pool and what size pump should I use. The place I got the pool from sent me a 2hp hayward super pump. Should I try to get something different and would a 2 speed pump benefit me, less power consumption would be nice.

I will have 4 deck jets and a Turbo Twister water slide that need water also. Would I be better suited to go with 2 pumps in this situation? I am using a robotic cleaner so I dont have to worry about running a Polaris.

Welcome to TFP!!

It's hard to tell from the diagram (but, thanks for it!) but you may want to put a return on the same side as the 2 skimmers and break the pool into 2 zones, each covered by 1 of the skimmers.

That looks like a 'Mt. Lake' liner pool. Where would you have the steps? Having a return on the second step, pointing the same direction as the 'flow' in the shallow end is what I'd suggest.

I'll leave it to those who know better than I to suggest pump sizing :oops:

We're here to help you and appreciate updates as you come closer to sealing the deal. :)

I updated the picture to show the location of the steps. The blue arrows pointing into the pool are the returns.

I added some pictures of the 60 bags of vermiculite. The start of the pool dig process. We have a little water table issue and had to put in a drain system to draw the water out.

Attachments

• vermiculite.jpg
    vermiculite.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,241
  • dig.jpg
    dig.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,241
  • drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,241
Hi again.

While I'm a fan of more returns, given your setup, 3 should be fine and a fourth would mess up the flow. If you add another return on the 8' reverse radius panel between the 2 skimmers, you'll set up a clockwise flow in the shallow end and a counterclockwise flow in the deep end.

A second stair return would help keep the treads cleaner. Run 2 return lines from the pad, 1 for the 2 opposite (from the skimmers) side returns and the other to feed the stairs and central return. Connect the 2 return lines with a 3-way valve for 'fine tuning' the flow and, should that not be enough, you can always play with the size of the directional inlets (eyeballs).

Please remember to plumb the returns parallel not in series! :hammer: If you need any help with the plumbing lay out, there are some GREAT guys here that can assist you :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lots of progress made will post pics later today. Couple questions. I need to raise the shallow end 2 inches to bring it level what's best to use #56, crusher run, sand or dirt that was pulled out. What about out of those for backfill material, I have read #56 but that's going to cost me over 1000$ were sand will be about 1/3 of that. If I go with sand I would put in a french drain to move water away from pool walls. Any advice please.

Scott, thanks for the reply. Sand costs around $10 a ton were as gravel costs $35. Is gravel going to be worth the extra cost involved. I will need alot of backfill around 50 tons. So there is over $1000 difference!

It's interesting that quarry materials pricing seems to vary a lot around the country. Here in NC, sand and rock are pretty close together.

That said, I don't like sand as a fill. It "washes out" very easily and doesn't have the same "porosity" as clean rock. Crusher run wouldn't drain very well, either. I would use rock/gravel despite the cost.

Are you sure about the 50 ton calculation? That's about 900 or so cubic feet (I think) and seems like a lot for that size pool.

I did the math at 3 foot over dig the parimeter of the pool is 130 ft and needs to come up 3 ft. I forgot to subtract bond beam so it will be less but not by much. What about crusher. Run to raise shallow end 2 inches to bring it to grade.

Lots of progress made this week will post pics today. My question is about the pool hopper walls. In a couple areas they got over dug to much. Since its such a large slope what is the best way to build them back to the proper dimensions.

Bond Beam all poured. Worked on plumbing this weekend and will finish monday afternoon. Then pressure test and backfill. Deep end with 2 ft of 3/4 inch to help drain the water to the pump.

Attachments

• 030711053547.jpg
    030711053547.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 896
  • 030711053621.jpg
    030711053621.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 896
  • 030711054910.jpg
    030711054910.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 896

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.