really frustrating multiport valve issue

Feb 22, 2011
So I'm renting a house with a pool, and I've had some experience cleaning my own pool in the past.

This pool needs a good cleaning and I bought all the new supplies, ready to clean the filter grids and put in new DE and get everything balanced. The pump works fine.

The only issue I'm having is figuring out the multiport valve for the filter - it's an old filter assembly with the multiport valve below the filter such that you can only see the handle and none of the actual settings. On the filter assembly is written in permanent marker "filter" and "backwash" but none of the other settings - this allows me to use those settings, but I have no way of seeing the rest of the valve to figure out the other settings, and guessing would obviously be very stupid.

I don't feel myself experienced enough to remove the entire filter assembly from the plumbing to actually get under there and learn more about the valve. I'm renting this place and I don't want to invest in the landlord's pool too much.

So, what I'm wondering is... is it going to be possible for me to maintain a functional pool with only the backwash and filter functions? Obviously it will mean compromises.

There's dead algae at the bottom of the pool right now and I want it to go out to waste - so here's my strategy:

1)shock the pool a bit more, maybe add algae kill of floc
2)vacuum to backwash when algae settles
3)disassemble and clean grids
4)put back together and add new DE

I know it's more work this way, but I'm just wondering if it's something I can do without damaging the equipment and also get the pool back to good shape.

Thanks!

I don't think I've ever used any settings on my multiport except backwash and filter. Oops, I used waste once when the hose got left on but I could have just used backwash instead. I'd have to say that you can easily maintain the pool just using Backwash and filter.

I wouldn't vacuum to backwash as it's running water through your filter backwards. I'd vacuum in filter mode then switch to backwash and clean the stuff out of the filter. I always vacuum to filter, then backwash, because it uses a lot less water.

Using Backwash will get you dirt inside the grids and can stretch the grid fabric of a DE filter or dirt in the bottom of a sand bed and or laterals of a sand filter.

Typically, going clockwise: Filter, Waste, Closed, Backwash, Recirculate, and Rinse. Always turn the pump off when changing positions.

Filter: Water enters the tank, passes the filter media and returns to the pool

Waste: Water enters the multiport and is sent to the waste/backwash port.

*** Some filters have a Winter position here. It's just a neutral position so and remaining water when winterizing has room to expand.

Closed: Water can neither enter the multiport nor leave the filter tank. Useful for service.

Backwash: Reverses the flow in the filter to remove dirt or dirty media.
Recirculate: Water enters the multiport and is returned to the pool, skipping the filter tank. Some Haywards call this Boost.
Rinse: Water enters in the filter in the same manner as in filter but is discharged out the waste port. Flushes any crud in the water's return flow path in the filter.

Scott

Bama Rambler said:
I don't think I've ever used any settings on my multiport except backwash and filter. Oops, I used waste once when the hose got left on but I could have just used backwash instead. I'd have to say that you can easily maintain the pool just using Backwash and filter.

I wouldn't vacuum to backwash as it's running water through your filter backwards. I'd vacuum in filter mode then switch to backwash and clean the stuff out of the filter. I always vacuum to filter, then backwash, because it uses a lot less water.

Thanks, this is exactly what I'll do... let the DE do it's work

PoolGuyNJ said:
Using Backwash will get you dirt inside the grids and can stretch the grid fabric of a DE filter or dirt in the bottom of a sand bed and or laterals of a sand filter.

Typically, going clockwise: Filter, Waste, Closed, Backwash, Recirculate, and Rinse. Always turn the pump off when changing positions.

Filter: Water enters the tank, passes the filter media and returns to the pool

Waste: Water enters the multiport and is sent to the waste/backwash port.

*** Some filters have a Winter position here. It's just a neutral position so and remaining water when winterizing has room to expand.

Closed: Water can neither enter the multiport nor leave the filter tank. Useful for service.

Backwash: Reverses the flow in the filter to remove dirt or dirty media.
Recirculate: Water enters the multiport and is returned to the pool, skipping the filter tank. Some Haywards call this Boost.
Rinse: Water enters in the filter in the same manner as in filter but is discharged out the waste port. Flushes any crud in the water's return flow path in the filter.

Scott

Thanks!

I use floc to get the crud to drop. I then vac to waste so I don't scuz up the filter. When I vac to waste, I don't try to be perfect, just get the vast majority so I don't B/W after every couple passes. With DE filters, the lost water will be less expensive than the DE. With sand filters, it's just a PITA backwashing so frequently.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a push pull valve on a filter, I like to see a 3 way valve on the pump's discharge side to I can plumb a waste port. Vacuuming to backwash will harm the filter. Vacuuming to filter will clog it and the pressure can stretch the grid fabric or in the case of the Hayward sand filter, crack the center tube due to the unequal pressures in the tank between the intake and discharge plumbing because of the thin pipe Hayward uses. I don't see Jandy sand filters in my area and Pentair's all use schedule 40 pipe which doesn't break under this set of conditions.

Another potential way to deal with this is to plumb a 2 way valve on the drain of the filter of a push pull equipped filter or on a cartridge system and if they have 1.5" or 2" NPT ports on those drains. It's a PITA with some as the drain on some filters is pointing down and not to the back or side.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.