Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: really frustrating multiport valve issue

1. Back To Top    #1

really frustrating multiport valve issue

So I'm renting a house with a pool, and I've had some experience cleaning my own pool in the past.

This pool needs a good cleaning and I bought all the new supplies, ready to clean the filter grids and put in new DE and get everything balanced. The pump works fine.

The only issue I'm having is figuring out the multiport valve for the filter - it's an old filter assembly with the multiport valve below the filter such that you can only see the handle and none of the actual settings. On the filter assembly is written in permanent marker "filter" and "backwash" but none of the other settings - this allows me to use those settings, but I have no way of seeing the rest of the valve to figure out the other settings, and guessing would obviously be very stupid.

I don't feel myself experienced enough to remove the entire filter assembly from the plumbing to actually get under there and learn more about the valve. I'm renting this place and I don't want to invest in the landlord's pool too much.

So, what I'm wondering is... is it going to be possible for me to maintain a functional pool with only the backwash and filter functions? Obviously it will mean compromises.

There's dead algae at the bottom of the pool right now and I want it to go out to waste - so here's my strategy:

1)shock the pool a bit more, maybe add algae kill of floc
    2)vacuum to backwash when algae settles
    3)disassemble and clean grids
    4)put back together and add new DE

I know it's more work this way, but I'm just wondering if it's something I can do without damaging the equipment and also get the pool back to good shape.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: really frustrating multiport valve issue

I don't think I've ever used any settings on my multiport except backwash and filter. Oops, I used waste once when the hose got left on but I could have just used backwash instead. I'd have to say that you can easily maintain the pool just using Backwash and filter.

I wouldn't vacuum to backwash as it's running water through your filter backwards. I'd vacuum in filter mode then switch to backwash and clean the stuff out of the filter. I always vacuum to filter, then backwash, because it uses a lot less water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Using Backwash will get you dirt inside the grids and can stretch the grid fabric of a DE filter or dirt in the bottom of a sand bed and or laterals of a sand filter.

Typically, going clockwise: Filter, Waste, Closed, Backwash, Recirculate, and Rinse. Always turn the pump off when changing positions.

Filter: Water enters the tank, passes the filter media and returns to the pool

Waste: Water enters the multiport and is sent to the waste/backwash port.

*** Some filters have a Winter position here. It's just a neutral position so and remaining water when winterizing has room to expand.

Closed: Water can neither enter the multiport nor leave the filter tank. Useful for service.

Backwash: Reverses the flow in the filter to remove dirt or dirty media.
    Recirculate: Water enters the multiport and is returned to the pool, skipping the filter tank. Some Haywards call this Boost.
    Rinse: Water enters in the filter in the same manner as in filter but is discharged out the waste port. Flushes any crud in the water's return flow path in the filter.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I don't think I've ever used any settings on my multiport except backwash and filter. Oops, I used waste once when the hose got left on but I could have just used backwash instead. I'd have to say that you can easily maintain the pool just using Backwash and filter.

I wouldn't vacuum to backwash as it's running water through your filter backwards. I'd vacuum in filter mode then switch to backwash and clean the stuff out of the filter. I always vacuum to filter, then backwash, because it uses a lot less water.
    Thanks, this is exactly what I'll do... let the DE do it's work

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Using Backwash will get you dirt inside the grids and can stretch the grid fabric of a DE filter or dirt in the bottom of a sand bed and or laterals of a sand filter.

Typically, going clockwise: Filter, Waste, Closed, Backwash, Recirculate, and Rinse. Always turn the pump off when changing positions.

Filter: Water enters the tank, passes the filter media and returns to the pool

Waste: Water enters the multiport and is sent to the waste/backwash port.

*** Some filters have a Winter position here. It's just a neutral position so and remaining water when winterizing has room to expand.

Closed: Water can neither enter the multiport nor leave the filter tank. Useful for service.

Backwash: Reverses the flow in the filter to remove dirt or dirty media.
    Recirculate: Water enters the multiport and is returned to the pool, skipping the filter tank. Some Haywards call this Boost.
    Rinse: Water enters in the filter in the same manner as in filter but is discharged out the waste port. Flushes any crud in the water's return flow path in the filter.

Scott
    Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

one more followup question:

If I want to use a floculant, is it okay to vacuum it to filter if I backwash afterwards?

7. Back To Top    #7

I never use floc but it's ok to vac to filter then backwash if you do use it. The point of floc is to clump it together so it's big enough for the filter to catch.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I use floc to get the crud to drop. I then vac to waste so I don't scuz up the filter. When I vac to waste, I don't try to be perfect, just get the vast majority so I don't B/W after every couple passes. With DE filters, the lost water will be less expensive than the DE. With sand filters, it's just a PITA backwashing so frequently.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

9. Back To Top    #9

Scott, so do you backwash or not? In an earlier post here you seemed to be against it...

Oh wait - you meant using back wash for vacuuming got it now
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

If your filter is like mine, you only have two positions. There's no mention of anything else in the manual. Bottom of page 4 shows what I mean. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/SMBW400 ... lterOM.pdf
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

With a push pull valve on a filter, I like to see a 3 way valve on the pump's discharge side to I can plumb a waste port. Vacuuming to backwash will harm the filter. Vacuuming to filter will clog it and the pressure can stretch the grid fabric or in the case of the Hayward sand filter, crack the center tube due to the unequal pressures in the tank between the intake and discharge plumbing because of the thin pipe Hayward uses. I don't see Jandy sand filters in my area and Pentair's all use schedule 40 pipe which doesn't break under this set of conditions.

Another potential way to deal with this is to plumb a 2 way valve on the drain of the filter of a push pull equipped filter or on a cartridge system and if they have 1.5" or 2" NPT ports on those drains. It's a PITA with some as the drain on some filters is pointing down and not to the back or side.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC