Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready to build pool, is this spec OK?

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready to build pool, is this spec OK?

Hello,
    I am getting ready to start building the pool soon. I am going with a 36x16 fiberglass pool. Holding 13,700 gallons. Below is a diagram of how i think things should go. Anyone see anything wrong with it? BTW I am doing all the plumbing, electrial, and crete.

The parts i am using

Pentair Superflow 1hp 2 speed pump
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 240sq ft.
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready to build pool, is this spec OK?

Welcome to TFP!

Your diagram looks good. Having a two speed pump is a great idea. Your filter is larger than average, which is also good. Some people around here like to go with an even larger filter than that, but that isn't at all crucial. Your plumbing diagram is straightforward and cleanly designed.

The only thing I would consider changing is the Kreepy Krauly Legend. You could definitely get a better pool cleaner than that. The Polaris 380 is really the best pressure side cleaner out there and well worth a little extra money. I suspect the builder is trying to stick 100% to Pentair branded equipment, but it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade just the pool cleaner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There isn't anything bad about the Legend. I find it to be as reliable as a 280 and more reliable than a 380. I also like the truck versions Pentair offers too.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies.

There is no pool builder pushing anything. I am design/specing/buying/installing everything.

One thing i was worried about is the check valve on the return side. Does this need to be before the booster pump, or is it ok the way it is?

Also, the cleaner i was looking at is the Legend Platinum (didn't know if the platinum made any difference). I haven't bought that yet, so i will definitely read into the 380.

5. Back To Top    #5

Suggest read up on the Poolvergnuegen pressure-side cleaner
    I bought one and could not be happier. No booster pump needed. Great quality. A forum member on here sells them
    http://pstpoolsupplies.com/the-4x-wheel ... eaner.aspx
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

6. Back To Top    #6

No check needed.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would suggest maybe reading through my experience to get a good idea on what things you may avoid

http://www.golfmd.com/baurphotoalbum/poolconstruction/
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would go with either a Legend or a Polaris 280..