Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Dirt flowing back into Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Dirt flowing back into Pool

Our PB just filled our pool. The pool was filled from the hydrant so the water was pretty cloudy at first.

Let the pump run all night and the water was clear the next day. Last night, i ran the pump at low speed. This morning, i turned the pump off, could hear the water draining in the filter. Then i turned the pump back on high, and got about five - ten seconds of silt/dirt/gunk blown back into the pool via the returns. Any thoughts on what could have caused this?
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Dirt flowing back into Pool

Please fill out your signature with your pool info. It will help greatly in figuring out what's going on and what the reason may be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What type of filter do you have?

4. Back To Top    #4

sounds like valve is left open or air is bleeding back into the lines when pump is off. assuming all fittings and valves and pipes were pressure tested, along with all the equipment, the system should maintain vacuum and not lose the water in the filter or pump at your equipment pad. call back the pb and have them inspect it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of info. I have updated my profile with the details of my pool. Thanks all for your help.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for filling it out. Now if you don't mind, combine a few things so it's no more than 5 line long. Picky, I know!

With the sand filter, a common reason to have dirt flowing into the pool is the multiport valve gasket. It could be nicked or just not sealing well. It could also be the o-ring on the stand pipe or a lateral cracked.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit