WARDSNTX First TF-100 Test

Jun 18, 2007
Spring, Texas
Ok,

tested the water for the first time today since partial startup yesterday and remainder this morning. Here are my results

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
TC - 7.5
PH - 7.8
TA - 180
CH - 180
CYA - 20- I could still see black dot in tube after completely full though it was faint.

Any immediate advice?

The TA is high, but I guess that is contributed to the large amount of Trichlor tabs they put in??? (5) in each skimmer to be exact.

My CYA reading is probably lower than 20 since I emptied the whole test container and could still see the dot. Did I fail my test? :oops:

Thanks!

The use of Trichlor pucks as chlorine gets added does not change the TA, though the pH goes down a little. As the chlorine gets used up, the pH goes down more as does the TA. So I don't think the high TA is from the Trichlor or its effect on pH.

I suspect the high TA is from the fill water. You might test that separately to see.

Thanks,

should I just monitor over the next week and let the trichlor tabs do their thing? I had tested PH yesterday and it was at 8.2, now at 7.6, so it is slowly going down to an acceptable level. This will help reduce TA as well correct? Before I go adding too much to the water, I am tempted to wait a few days and then check again before reacting. I thought that for only the second day after start up that these numbers were ok albeit not perfect...am I wrong in my assumption?

I think I should do the CYA test again...just don't feel comfortable with the results from the first attempt.

Yeah, I think you're on track to keep doing what you're doing and let things settle in. Your pH is under control, and the pucks are giving you some sanitation. Yes...T/A will come down with pH.

Trust your CYA test over the pool store's. They'll probably use a strip (not good for CYA). Is there a reason you don't trust your CYA results? You haven't mentioned adding any and the pucks will not provide very much so it seems to me <20ppm would make sense. It's not a very dramatic test so I think there's a tendency to assume it's not working properly when you first do it. Your description sounds like you did it correctly.

If you're counting on the pucks to bring you up to a good CYA level, that'll be a very slow process. I would suggest purchasing enough separately to add 20ppm or so to your pool and then let the pucks do the rest.

Jay,
Welcome to the other side! Your initial results are pretty good. I agree with Duraleigh that your CYA test was done properly. When you add the CYA, see how much you need to add for your goal (I would shoot for about 30 right now) on Jasonlion's calculator (Pool Calculator)Add that much and wait at least a week before testing again. Since your going to be using a SWG, if you overshoot it is not a big deal because your final goal will be 50-75 ppm. You are going to find that maintaining your pH is going to be a PITA for about 3 weeks, then it will level off. I went through 4 gal. of muratic acid in the first 3 weeks and I found out real quick to figure out which way the wind is blowing before opening the cap on that bottle :shock: . Also, you want your TA around 90-100, but that will drop with all the acid you will be adding.

ENJOY IT!

Thanks guys...

I hope I am not seeing algea bloom already, but yesterday and today when I get hoe from work to brush the pool, there is a brown powdery substance in the pool and the spa. When I sweep it just clouds up the water. The same type residue is in the skimmer that seems to be clogged, It seems like DE, but they told me they didn't add any. If I aggetate the water i n the skimmer, the water turns muddy brown and you can't even see the skimmer basket.....I tried to unstop the blockage , but it is solid and it is the main drain suction (front hole).

<a>
102_1305.jpg
</a>

<a>
102_1306.jpg
</a>

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jay,
Are you running your pumps 24/7 at the moment? My pool ran 24 hours a day for at least a week at startup. I had similar issues at startup. My blockage was on the pressure side. I was in fear of running a ditch witch through the line but I did run my Fish Tape through the line to the blockage. Once I found it, I rotated the line around and Blam... Out came a huge chunk of mud/dirt/clay... All in a clean pool of course but it was clear. If you have resolved your issues with your PB, then I truly suggest calling him and getting him involved. keep us posted.

Yeah...I almost took my plumbers snake to it, but it as right at the skimmer. I beat the heck out of the blockage with a screw driver and hammer and was able to get a few chunks out, but it keeps going past the depth I could get any leverage to hit my screw driver ( was afraid it would break loose and...oops, there goes the screw driver too!) Anyway, they are coming out tomorrow to check it out. I am pretty sure the debris I see in the pool isn't algea, but just debris from this slowly passing throught the system.

Yes, Pump is running 24/7

I'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, I am heading out to buy some more tablets. Any reccomendations on the best ones to use? Tri-chlor?

Thanks again guys for the help....it's a little scary being on this side now...I feel like the new kid starting a new school half way through the school year !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.