Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reformed pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Reformed pool owner

I have a vinyl lined 16’x32’ about 15,000 gal. in ground. My filter is 60 sq.ft.D.E. I use a Barracuda G3 sweep. Currently, my pool is in wonderful shape. An excellent fitting liner was installed last week.

I'm reformed because: I am/WAS is pool chemical sloth,lazy,manana guy. For 15 years I looked at my pool and guess how much chlo. and shock. etc. it worked (+/-), but I got into a bit of trouble last summer. The water became very hazy. With multiple trips to the pool store for chem. I could not seem to get the chem.’s. Correct and was a science project. My 8-year-old liner formed 3 wrinkles in the deep end. The P.H. was so low the vinyl was being eaten and leaks formed on the side of the wrinkle/s and cracked resulting in a lot of water loss. That liner was history, not repairable.

So,,,,now $3,500 later I have been reborn. Fresh water, conditioner, liquid chlor. and a new DPD test kit. I am doing a weekly log. I have a nice advantage with the weather temp. Highs only in the 60's. For Southern California not bad.

Any one else have a vinyl pool out there? I'm ready to learn more.

Ready for summer. Rich

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reformed pool owner

Welcome to TFP Rich Take a read through Pool is in my sig I'm guessing, but likely 50% of our memebrs have vinyl liners
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you for your prompt reply. I will look at the pool school.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5
    Western Piedmont, NC

Welcome. This place has literally changed my life. Last year was beautiful, easy, lovely and my husband was converted from wanting to fill in the pool with dirt. The winter was easy as well (first time closing the pool, and we followed the closing instructions). For the first time ever I am looking forward to opening the pool in April-May.
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 8.5 deep, 28K, Hayward C4025 SwimClear Filter, Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1HP

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP last year was the first time I ever owned a pool in my life. We opened the pool in May to find a green nasty swamp but with all the info and great people on TFP I got it straightened out and had a trouble free pool for the rest of the summer only having to add bleach and Muriatic acid !! When we had our pool closed in Oct the guys said it was the cleanest pool they closed this year, I owe it all to the great info found on this sight.
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

8. Back To Top    #8
    Guam, USA

Welcome aboard
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Fleming Island, FL

Hi there
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool